Salinity probe creeping up value constantly....

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
RW7u3Sk.jpeg

I just set up my aquarium and put in my Apex salinity probe with the salinity probe stabilization kit. It seems to be pretty stable but it is creeping up and up throughout the days. I have a ATO so any sort of evaporation should be accounted for and temp varies by 1 degree ( 77-78 ) . Any Ideas as to why it would be creeping up like this? I dont see a change on my refractometer (1.026)

thanks,

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, it must be from everyone getting apex's from BRS's "LAST DEAL BEFORE INFLATION HITS" sale. So I was having this issue and another reefer. In my case I was steered towards setting the TC value and recalibrating. I'll find the link here - hopefully it will help you to. Mine jumped from 33.6 ppt to 41 ppt basically in 48 hours with no change in actual salinity.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this helps!

OP
OP
slythy

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
lol, it must be from everyone getting apex's from BRS's "LAST DEAL BEFORE INFLATION HITS" sale. So I was having this issue and another reefer. In my case I was steered towards setting the TC value and recalibrating. I'll find the link here - hopefully it will help you to. Mine jumped from 33.6 ppt to 41 ppt basically in 48 hours with no change in actual salinity.

Ha I did buy mine before the first wave of price increases so like Last november while i was still getting all the parts for my aquarium. I just got it up and running a week or 2 ago so. I didnt calibrate with TC on but I guess I can get more Cal fluid and try.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely use TC cause conductivity naturally changes by between 2.0 and 2.8%/deg C temp change. TC counteracts this.

The drift issue is something Neptune always tries to deny but it's obvious it happens. RussM always argues with me about this. Every probe I have ever gotten drifts for the first 1-5 days of use then eventually settles.

I let it soak for a week to build a biofilm up on the probe and then recalibrate. When you recalibrate, it is incredibly important that you float the packet in the tank for 15 min before calibrating and the dry step should not be bone dry, just a quick swish in RODI or tap water and pad dry with a paper towel.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back