Salinity question (long post)

TodaysTrolling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a Hannah Salinity Meter since I’ve gotten into saltwater for the last year or so. Finally I noticed that it wouldn’t stay calibrated. It would show saltwater at 1.017. I’d calibrate it with the Hannah solution and it would read 1.026. But as soon as I turned it off and back on it would be wildly different again. Before finally just showing Err when I tried to calibrate it.

So I ordered a refractometer. Calibrated it with the Hannah solution to 35 ppt. Tested my saltwater tank and it’s saying it’s at 1.035. Rechecked some Hannah solution in it and it’s correctly showing 35 ppt. Or around 1.026. Do you guys think it’s accurate and my tank is really that high? Have a bunch of softies. Torch. Zoas. Bubble tip anenome. Etc. link for the one I bought below.

Aquarium Salinity Refractometer with ATC Function,Saltwater Test Kit for Seawater, Pool, Aquarium, Fish Tank.Dual Scale: Specific Gravity & Salt Percent

salt2salt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep....bring some tank water to lfs and have them test

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
35ppt (1.026) is an industry standard and would be ideal especially in a tank with coral

OP
OP
T

TodaysTrolling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, it’s showing 1.045. Maybe that’s my issue. The instructions weren’t to clear on how to calibrate it.

OP
OP
T

TodaysTrolling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I calibrated it to 0 using distilled water. Now it’s reading at about 1.026-1.027. Which sounds about right. I appreciate it guys. Trying to find out what could be the problem I’m having with some of my zoas. Figured I’d start at salinity.

Back