Salinity seems really low...

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t pay much mind to my tank for a while and just naturally topped off with ro/di and didn’t really account for the lack of salinity... so now my P4 controller is telling me I am at 1.0061.... that seems way off to me. What’s the best way to try to raise it? Just continue to top off with salted water?

Thanks

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems definitely odd. Salt doesn't evaporate so I think something is definitely is amiss. When was the last time you calibrated your refractometer?
It’s actually like the electric one that’s attached to the controller.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely check the calibration. The numbers you quoted above are just about freshwater.
Yeah I am unsure how to even go about calibrating... maybe someone else can help out. It’s strange because I am making salt water correctly.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely check the calibration. The numbers you quoted above are just about freshwater.
So from what I understand the profilux displays it kg/l ... just now confused on how far off I am.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have access to another way to determine your salinity? A fellow reefer with a refractometer or even a float type hydrometer?
Possibly your LFS?
I would determine a baseline before doing much if anything. Knowing where you actually are is more important than worrying about whatever your Profolux is telling you currently. If possible, check with multiple devices to get a standard, and THEN worry about recalibrating

SPS247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to jump in but you can take a sample to your local fishstore to get a quick baseline if you don't have anothet means of measuring.
Two little fishies makes a reference calibration fluid called Accurasea. It's what I use to make sure my probe is reading correctly. I never trust my probe. LOL!

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to jump in but you can take a sample to your local fishstore to get a quick baseline if you don't have anothet means of measuring.
Two little fishies makes a reference calibration fluid called Accurasea. It's what I use to make sure my probe is reading correctly. I never trust my probe. LOL!
Alright so Im now even a little more confused... my measurements are currently 1.0058 kg/l... does that mean I basically have like no salt or am i just confused entirely..
the calculator seems to be working backwards for me.. I am entering my target levels and its saying I need to bring it up from 1.0058 to 1.021 and that seems quite the swing... its weird because my corals and stuff are doing well. I am just really concerned considering I have some new corals coming in and don't want to be far off salinity wise whilst acclimating

Edit::
I changed the measurements on the website to PSU now and i am at 11.4 PSU.. its in the red which clearly means lower than ideal..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I busted out the good old Red Sea refractometer and have come to the conclusion it’s the probe which is off. I seemed to raise the salinity slightly whilst trying to boost it thinking it was lower than it was. I’d say it’s around 1.026

SPS247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly just take a sample to a local fish store to test or a friends house or borrow a refractometer or Amazon next day a refractometer. Worst thing you can do is shock the system with adding something you may not need. If your corals are full of life, color, polyp extension etc don't panic.
Trust your eyes in what you see in your tank. Controllers/probes do go out of wack once in awhile. Slow is the best. If it truly is that low, it got low over a long period of time. Which mean you have bring it back up slow to let your corals adjust.

SPS247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly just take a sample to a local fish store to test or a friends house or borrow a refractometer or Amazon next day a refractometer. Worst thing you can do is shock the system with adding something you may not need. If your corals are full of life, color, polyp extension etc don't panic.
Trust your eyes in what you see in your tank. Controllers/probes do go out of wack once in awhile. Slow is the best. If it truly is that low, it got low over a long period of time. Which mean you have bring it back up slow to let your corals adjust.

SPS247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I busted out the good old Red Sea refractometer and have come to the conclusion it’s the probe which is off. I seemed to raise the salinity slightly whilst trying to boost it thinking it was lower than it was. I’d say it’s around 1.026

Nice! I knew it computers, controller, probes always messing with us humans. LOL!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back