Sally lightfoot crab night ambush?

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs got sallies! I want one, but the issue is that I have a few fish that have zero fear and sleep leaning on the glass(firefish, hawk and foxface). I have plentiful hair algae in the tank to feed it and I feed the tank with brine and mysis regularly. Is it safe to introduce the crab or am I just locked out of big generalist crustaceans?

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had them for 10 years plus. I have never had an issue with them killing a fish. If a fish fish swims by they will put their claws up but I think that it's saying this is my spot. Not necessarily aggression. Never saw them chase a fish and I've had them with some pretty small fish. They are also great for refugium's. They don't eat fauna and can keep your rock spectacularly clean.

I have heard of them going for fish but I have never witnessed this. All mine are in my sump(s) right now for clean up. I'll put a few back in the display in a few weeks. At the moment I have about 12.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had them for 10 years plus. I have never had an issue with them killing a fish. If a fish fish swims by they will put their claws up but I think that it's saying this is my spot. Not necessarily aggression. Never saw them chase a fish and I've had them with some pretty small fish. They are also great for refugium's. They don't eat fauna and can keep your rock spectacularly clean.

I have heard of them going for fish but I have never witnessed this. All mine are in my sump(s) right now for clean up. I'll put a few back in the display in a few weeks. At the moment I have about 12.
They seem to be opportunists in the fish tanks and there seem to be a lot of reports of killings. I also do have a wrasse which might take out a smaller crab, so I have to get a larger one if I am to get one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back