Sally Lightfoot Crab

JCATL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Sally Lightfoot crab for some time now and while it's pretty cool to watch, it's starting to get aggressive with some of my fish. I haven't seen it physically try to attack any and I"m not sure if it could considering its small pincers, but I guess that's really the nature of my question. I've seen other posts with similar questions, but are things a threat or is it all bluster?

I've got some fish coming out of QT soon that are smaller, rock dwellers so now's the time to move this guy if it's a good idea. Thanks!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand, if they get fairly large they can pose a risk to fish (definitions of "large" may vary). I also have one in my tank (maybe 4" across?) and he's left all my fish alone (including small ones like gramas and dottybacks). I also hand feed him mysis every day or so to keep him happy.

Mine spends most of the day hanging out on the back of the tank eating the (plentiful) algae off the glass. Hopefully this will keep him content for the most part.

They will scavenge any dead fish, though (a free meal is a free meal!)

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're opportunist so whenever he runs out of algae or sees a sick fish he may try to catch it. They're lightning fast but their claws are pretty small for killing and grabbing fish.

You just have to keep the lid of the tank very tightly secured, these guys venture out of tide pools and aquariums aren't much different to them. They don't need air but its very possible to see a really big weird looking spider one day on your stairs if they have an escape route.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back