Sally Lightfoot crab (SLC)

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a SLC in my reef for almost a year. I also have several emeralds and different types of Hermits. Last week I added a few fire shrimp and have noticed that as of late my SLC has been seen stalking the fire shrimp . I have read about a million and one things on the slc and from what I have read it seems like a 50/50 proposition on take it out and no problem at all. I am here asking if I should remove the crab? Or get it out? Obviously the shrimp are what I'd really like to keep in there. My next question would be if I do take it out then without tearing my reef apart to catch that sucker, what trapping methods have you all employed to catch those crabs? I just don't want to wake up one morning with one fire missing and sally looking a little full. And thoughts would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have had a SLC in my reef for almost a year. I also have several emeralds and different types of Hermits. Last week I added a few fire shrimp and have noticed that as of late my SLC has been seen stalking the fire shrimp . I have read about a million and one things on the slc and from what I have read it seems like a 50/50 proposition on take it out and no problem at all. I am here asking if I should remove the crab? Or get it out? Obviously the shrimp are what I'd really like to keep in there. My next question would be if I do take it out then without tearing my reef apart to catch that sucker, what trapping methods have you all employed to catch those crabs? I just don't want to wake up one morning with one fire missing and sally looking a little full. And thoughts would be much appreciated.
net it at night or place piece of shrimp in corner of tank and allow SLF to feed on it, then pull up slowly or net it and the shrimp

OP
OP
B

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
net it at night or place piece of shrimp in corner of tank and allow SLF to feed on it, then pull up slowly or net it and the shrimp
Copy! While I've got you, would you mind telling me what this little critter is? I found it climbing under a mushroom.

Attachments

• 20210418_201711.jpg
    20210418_201711.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210418_201847.jpg
    20210418_201847.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210418_202014.jpg
    20210418_202014.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
B

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baby bristle worm. Your slf is intrested in the new character. Being territorial. He dosent want all his food taken! Lol
D
As far as bristle worms are concerned, do you leave them or since I've got it out should I throw it. I never know if it's good to have them or just not detrimental if you do. I never know if I should be removing these things when I co. Across them or just leave them. I am always super paranoid about pests no matter if good or bad.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its a member of subfamily Syllidae worm known as the Phyllodocidae. The phyllodocids are slender errant worms often brilliant green, yellow or orange and most of them live in crevices and under rocks and stones. They are active predators of other small worms. The phyllodocids are common shallow water polychaetes commonly associated with hard substrates and corals rather than mud and sand.

KCheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as bristle worms are concerned, do you leave them or since I've got it out should I throw it. I never know if it's good to have them or just not detrimental if you do. I never know if I should be removing these things when I co. Across them or just leave them. I am always super paranoid about pests no matter if good or bad.
the worms never bothered anything in my tank and just hide in the rocks, consider them part of ur clean up crew, SLC once bigger will eat all ur critters lol

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a baby fire worm. Not much diffrence imoe other than size.
I leave worms as they are usually a night time cuc member.
Ull see em when the lights are off.
If i saw a big 9" worm eating something it wasnt suppose to....id prob try and remove it. Lol
D

OP
OP
B

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the worms never bothered anything in my tank and just hide in the rocks, consider them part of ur clean up crew, SLC once bigger will eat all ur critters lol
Oh he's of the bigger side. 3" from side to side. He's gotta go. I put a shrimp in the corner of my tank. Hopefully tonight when I get up for my midnight pee he will be feasting and I will snag his Lil a up. Once I do, anyone in the twin cities metro area that wants a SLC? Hit me up!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back