Salt creep

The cause? splashing

Minimize the splashing and you'll avoid most of the salt creep
 
Any other ideas? I am having a salt creep 'problem' and I don't think it's caused by splashing.

Mine is a Fluval Evo with the stock hood. The creep is occurring around the tank rim where it meets the hood and is bad enough that I really need to be cleaning it every day. I could remove the hood but I'm hoping someone might have another suggestion.
 
I agree with splashing. Just a few drops of water between the top edge of the glass and the lid will cause it. Capillary action will cause the water to fill in the gap. Once the water evaporates/drys, the salt content will remain behind and grow in size as it drys out. My Evo was doing the same thing when I had the stock lid. When I removed the lid, it stopped. When I put a screen top on it, I had salt creep again.
Try aiming the output of your power heads/ wave makers just a little lower and experiment with the water level in your tank, if coral placement allows. I dropped my water level only about 3/16” and I stopped getting creep around the rim.
Hope this helps!
Mike
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new