salt level too high

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am new to the hobby and over the last 3 months I've been using a basic salt checker floaty needle thing. That thing is all over the place so I bought one of the ATC refractometers and its reading at 1.029 and I am kind of inclined to believe this is correct as I have only added salt water to the tank so far. I don't get much evaporation as its got a lid on the tank, but obviously there has been some.
So how do i decrease the salinity is it just a matter of adding RO and keep checking in small amounts? how much water do you think I would have to add to reduce it down? Its a 120L tank

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to calibrate the refractometer with a solution at 35ppt. Don’t use RO water to calibrate it. You can make your own calibration standard with RODI water and table salt.

OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i need some help with this i made up the 6.2g table salt to 161ml of water is there a specific temperature it needs to be at??

edit i think i get it. I need it at 25c

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i need some help with this i made up the 6.2g table salt to 161ml of water is there a specific temperature it needs to be at??

edit i think i get it. I need it at 25c
The water will quickly assume the temperature of the refractometer, so as long as it’s held at room temp, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Just let the water sit on the slide for a minute.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What livestock do you have in your tank - that will impact how quickly you can reduce your salinity. Once you get the salinity where you want it, I would ONLY top off with RODI.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
There is confusion here= No doubt.
Here is what I would do. . . . . . Take a water sample from both gages. Then take a water sample to a trusted pet store and have them test for you and see which of your readings are both the same or close and way off and you will then know which one is more reliable.

OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i have just done about 1/2 gallon change and its reading 1.0024 on the old one and 1.0031 on the new one.
think tomorrow il take it to LFS to check

OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so today I had some actual calibration fluid turn up and it showed that it was at 40 instead of 35 so I have re calibrated and my water is now at 1.028 after I had added that RO water yesterday so I guess I am back on track and can monitor it from here. I think I should leave making calibration fluid to the experts.

OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the mrs just got wet feet :D and we read the local water at 1.025 I am not interested in using that water though as we live in a fishing village and that water is nasty

Oh and tank update. its down at 1.026 and a coral that i have never been able to get to open has finally opened
Blue sympodium

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back