Salt mans 40 breeder

Salt man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank started as a 30 gal 4 years ago, however, I changed everything over to this 40 one year ago. I love DIY so EVERYTHING just about is DIY. I built the stand, canopy, metal halide, drilled the tank and even bent the black acrylic myself to make the overflow.

This tank used to be packed with coral that I was running out of room. It now is down to near no rock a few corals, couple of inverts and my two paired clowns that I'm hoping will breed. I also was going to take it down and sold off all teh rock, however after selling I decided to keep it and will refill it in time.
Equitment is, two koralia 2s, HOB filter with cheato, 20 gal sump with a aquaclear 4000 for a return. No skimmer at the moment. I did have a ER 100, but just sold it and am getting a bubble magus NAC 3.

Corals consist of palyotha giganta, purple zoas, anthilia, xenia, superman shrooms, purple shrooms, PPE, NUCs, candy apple pinks, devil finger leather, and PSP

Inverts are a 4 year old rock boring urchin, 1 year old cleaner shrimp, and a 2 year old brittle star.

Fish are a pair of Ocellaris clowns. Female is 3.5 inches and male at about 3inches.

Here is a FTS that I took after I sold most the corals, but before I sold all my rock. This is the stand canopy that I built. I put a white crackle paint job on it with a maroon backing. Please keep in mind that this is a really bad pic. The color is all off the stand is a bright white
tankpics071.jpg

Here's when if was first swapped over to the 40
AAAbobbyspics008-1.jpg

Here is a close up of the paint color
mypictures1021.jpg

Please let me know what you think. Good, bad, where I could of done better....ect....

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back