Salt mix

MattR33fer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am setting up my first reef tank and I’m trying to decide on the salt mix I want to go with. Im leaning towards going with the Red Sea coral pro. My question is should I start out with a cheaper salt to get the tank cycled and then transition to the coral pro before I start adding coral or just go with the coral pro from the start?

F4u-SuperCorsair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am setting up my first reef tank and I’m trying to decide on the salt mix I want to go with. Im leaning towards going with the Red Sea coral pro. My question is should I start out with a cheaper salt to get the tank cycled and then transition to the coral pro before I start adding coral or just go with the coral pro from the start?
Not all salt is created equal. Some salts are dirtier than others and some salts don't make as much saltwater as others. I use Tropic marin. Is it the best??? Find a good salt and start with that.

Upvote 0

Wave Whisperer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must decide first-hand on what Alk level you want your tank to be sitting at in the long term. The Coral Pro mixes at a rather high DKH of around 11-12dKH. The Red Sea Blue bucket mixes at around 8dKH. Depends on what you intend to stock up and your goals really.

I'm using the Red Sea Blue bucket and my tank is running around 8.5-8.7dKH. Nicely matched when doing water changes and less prone to instability issues.

For me I don't store my saltwater for long(space issues), so I don't really face the dirty mix here that many are commenting on the Red Sea salts. I mix a fresh batch just before a water change and clean my container soon after.

As per your question of starting out with cheaper salt for cycling, IMO its easier to just start off with the one that you planned to use in the long term. This is to prevent issues or parameters swings when doing water changes. Until you can fully understand and get the hang of controlling your params, switching salt brands is easy.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the choice of salt mix has much impact on a reef tank, as long as it is made with decent starting water. You will need to take into account how the salt mix impacts water changes and what effect that has on your chosen alkalinity target.

Upvote 0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used Coral Pro for a decade. I’ve had no issues in that time.

I started with it because it’s always easily available in my area and I never want to change salt mix if at all possible.

For me, this helps keep chemistry stable.

While all different, all likely work fine.

I’ve seen stunning tanks on cheapest salt.

Upvote 0

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must decide first-hand on what Alk level you want your tank to be sitting at in the long term. The Coral Pro mixes at a rather high DKH of around 11-12dKH. The Red Sea Blue bucket mixes at around 8dKH. Depends on what you intend to stock up and your goals really.

I'm using the Red Sea Blue bucket and my tank is running around 8.5-8.7dKH. Nicely matched when doing water changes and less prone to instability issues.

For me I don't store my saltwater for long(space issues), so I don't really face the dirty mix here that many are commenting on the Red Sea salts. I mix a fresh batch just before a water change and clean my container soon after.

As per your question of starting out with cheaper salt for cycling, IMO its easier to just start off with the one that you planned to use in the long term. This is to prevent issues or parameters swings when doing water changes. Until you can fully understand and get the hang of controlling your params, switching salt brands is easy.
Following... Possibly the reason why my alk is so high, I use instant ocean.
Great advice thank you

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back