Salt mix

Patric1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, got an rodi system and Red Sea blue bucket for salt, not sure the mix ratio for it tho. Anyone have any pointers

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, got an rodi system and Red Sea blue bucket for salt, not sure the mix ratio for it tho. Anyone have any pointers
It’s usually a half cup of salt per gallon just add some then do test, keep testing as you add to tweak to desired salinity. Would also suggest letting it mix overnight as well to make sure she’s fully mixed.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^that. Shoot for slightly under depending on how much you're making at once, it's easier to add more than if you fill up your container and have to add more water without dumping it out to make room :)
Done that before pain in the butt trying to add more ro lol

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, lol much easier to add than take out :) I use a scale and weigh the salt instead of using measuring cups fwiw. Started with measuring cups tho to get a baseline, I just found it easier to pour a specific weight once I knew what I was shooting for.

OP
OP
Patric1

Patric1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^that. Shoot for slightly under depending on how much you're making at once, it's easier to add more than if you fill up your container and have to add more water without dumping it out to make room :)
So In a sense if I’m making 30 gals.. mix the salt as if I’m doing 26-27 gals and then measure it and slowly work up from there?

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, how do you go about that

I'm using a different salt mix than you, but the concept is the same. I basically followed the box instructions on cups per gallon, and once I had that # sorted I poured that # of cups in a bowl on a scale and got weight measurement. I'm working with bags of salt not buckets tho which make it easier to pour.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So In a sense if I’m making 30 gals.. mix the salt as if I’m doing 26-27 gals and then measure it and slowly work up from there?
Correct, so chuck like 5 1/2 cups in to start. Every salt mixes a little different but once you learn yours it should be fairly consistent.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 75 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back