Salt mixes and dosing

Nano427

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently using Red Sea Coral Pro salt mix in my sps dominant mixed reef. Not currently dosing, so the higher numbers (cal alk mag) in the RSCP work for now. As my sps frags are really starting to establish and grow I have decided to set up a BM doser to help keep params stable. Would it make more sense to get a salt mix that has params closer to what I want to target through dosing? For example, the regular Red Sea mix, will have lower cal, alk, and mag that is closer to the params I will be targeting. My goal is to keep the tank more stable and not get spikes after water changes. Am I looking at this the right way?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is better to use a salt mix closer to the target parameters. If you go with acros, the red sea blue bucket is the way to go. Other SPS benefit from the coral pro but acros can get burnt tips with high alk.

OP
OP
N

Nano427

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is better to use a salt mix closer to the target parameters. If you go with acros, the red sea blue bucket is the way to go. Other SPS benefit from the coral pro but acros can get burnt tips with high alk.
Thank you. That‘s what I was thinking, and I’m about out if RSCP so I want to buy new salt soon. I was looking at the regular Red Sea or the Fritz, they both have numbers I think I’d like to try. As far as the corals, I have several lps and softies, but have many sps, mostly acros; montipora, millipora, tenius, etc etc. Thanks again, I feel better about switching to a different salt now.

Back