Salt mixture question

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long can the salt mixture with fresh water be working before entering the DT or the QT? I had this doubt the weekend after I planned to change the water but in the end I couldn't do it due to other tasks, so I thought I would make the mixture and use it when I had time, my question is whether to put the water and salt and simply will letting them mix there for days will it work?

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of salt. Some are meant to be used faster that others red sea pro for example should be used within a day of mixing. I would say most salts are fine mixing for longer periods.

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you should be perfectly fine letting it mix for as long as you would like before using.

OP
OP
LaloJ

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only had the doubt about ammonia, I once read that it appears in fresh salt water after a certain time of being mixed, which did not make sense to me since there is nothing in decomposition inside the new water that can generate it, unless the salt residue at the bottom can do it.

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have some salt water in my container and sometimes go weeks before I use it... never had any issues.

ndds73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I even let my Instant Ocean Reef Salt sits for couple weeks before doing water change on my mixed reef tank and it was ok. I did this on regular basis and not just a one time occurrence.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant Ocean, I only keep fish.

I used normal IO over a month or so after making it. The only concerns relate to some precipitation of calcium carbonate in the mixing tub.

OP
OP
LaloJ

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for sharing your experience, I'm going to prepare my water as soon as I can to use it later, maybe over the weekend.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back