Salt Selection

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to study which salts are inexpensive and good to use, and I've come to the conclusion that Fritz Reef Pro is the best one to go with. Can anyone give me first hand experience with this product?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to study which salts are inexpensive and good to use, and I've come to the conclusion that Fritz Reef Pro is the best one to go with. Can anyone give me first hand experience with this product?
Been using fritz for a while now, so far no complaints. Always mixes consistently and clear :)

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to study which salts are inexpensive and good to use, and I've come to the conclusion that Fritz Reef Pro is the best one to go with.

How did you make this decision? What metrics did you use to decide this?

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you make this decision? What metrics did you use to decide this?

Since my tank isn't set up or running in any capacity, I just read what folks had to say about it. I have no means, nor frame of reference to make what I would consider an educated decision on salt, hence this post.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm switching from IO Reef Crystals to Red Sea Coral Pro. Should be delivered today. Just thought I'd try something different to see if it makes much of a change.

Let us know how it works out for you. I'm still a ways from doing any salt mixing, so I'm looking for as much information as I can find.

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Fritz RPM Salt for almost a year now. I'm really happy with it. It consistently mixes with numbers where I want. I do 20% water changes every couple of weeks. Instant Ocean always bumped my dKh a bit. Red Sea blue bucket mixes fairly low dKh but it's a bit pricey.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my tank isn't set up or running in any capacity, I just read what folks had to say about it. I have no means, nor frame of reference to make what I would consider an educated decision on salt, hence this post.

That's fair. I was just curious if you had heard something or someone had told you something that strained credulity. I don't there's an objective "best" or "worst" salt mix. I'm not aware of a single major manufacturer that makes salt mixes that are unsuitable for use in reef aquaria. The cheapest-of-the-cheap, Instant Ocean, has been used probably more than any other salt mix. Many SPS fanatics have used this salt for years and had great success as a result (Jason Fox for example runs IO exclusively).

Which salt mix is best for you might vary based on several factors including price, availability, parameters produced (calcium/alkalinity/magnesium), etc. But I think you'll have good success regardless of which you choose :)

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fair. I was just curious if you had heard something or someone had told you something that strained credulity. I don't there's an objective "best" or "worst" salt mix. I'm not aware of a single major manufacturer that makes salt mixes that are unsuitable for use in reef aquaria. The cheapest-of-the-cheap, Instant Ocean, has been used probably more than any other salt mix. Many SPS fanatics have used this salt for years and had great success as a result (Jason Fox for example runs IO exclusively).

Which salt mix is best for you might vary based on several factors including price, availability, parameters produced (calcium/alkalinity/magnesium), etc. But I think you'll have good success regardless of which you choose :)

That's good to know. The things I looked at was how much precipitate was left behind after the mix, and cost. Fritz reportedly does well in those things from what I've read.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz guy here, been using it since i started my tank. Always clear, good parameters, and great customer service. Had a problem with my octo skimmer, thought it was the salt and i called Fritz about this and they went thru with me my steps on water changes and come to find out it was not the salt that was causing my skimmer to go crazy but my water treatment.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz guy here, been using it since i started my tank. Always clear, good parameters, and great customer service. Had a problem with my octo skimmer, thought it was the salt and i called Fritz about this and they went thru with me my steps on water changes and come to find out it was not the salt that was causing my skimmer to go crazy but my water treatment.

Awesome!

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW there is a lot of speculation that the Live Aquaria salt is repackaged fritz. It is cheaper than fritz (and with coupons cheaper than IO) and has free shipping, you may want to give that a look.

Edit: I no longer can recommend this salt. I have had some issues with this salt, but my main complaint has been the LA "customer service" I have received when dealing with these issues.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW there is a lot of speculation that the Live Aquaria salt is repackaged fritz. It is cheaper than fritz (and with coupons cheaper than IO) and has free shipping, you may want to give that a look.

Learn something new every day! Thanks!

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz is very expensive on Amazon. It's cheaper at SaltwaterAquarium. It's usually cheapest if you can find it at a local LFS. There's one near me that sells it for $55 a box.
Holy Mess! That's expensive! If that's all I could get, the price would be my rationale for not doing water changes! :D

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back