Salt Sourcing

H2OHOH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those of you with these large tanks, especially not on the coasts, how are you sourcing salt? Are you just going to LFS, making friends with Amazon delivery person, or in bulk. I have a 720 gallon myself, and my water changes are a box at a time.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few things you can do. One if you are ordering a bulk amount 1000+ gallons always talk with the LFS to see if you can get a bulk discount. Normally salt does not have a high markup at the LFS so don't expect a giant discount if you can get one. Since you are in MN you might also consider giving BRS a call. If you can pickup locally and you are serious about buying a lot at once it can't hurt to ask for a bulk discount. It might also be good to ask how much do you need to buy at once to get a discount (ask what a pallet costs).

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been ordering Reef Crystals from Amazon. The price is good but they will only sell me 3 buckets at a time. I did the repeat delivery once a month.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few things you can do. One if you are ordering a bulk amount 1000+ gallons always talk with the LFS to see if you can get a bulk discount. Normally salt does not have a high markup at the LFS so don't expect a giant discount if you can get one. Since you are in MN you might also consider giving BRS a call. If you can pickup locally and you are serious about buying a lot at once it can't hurt to ask for a bulk discount. It might also be good to ask how much do you need to buy at once to get a discount (ask what a pallet costs).
The LFS is a good option if they are willing to work with you. We used to have a local shop that would do a pallet special on certain salts. He would offer a really good price and once he had a pallet prepaid he would order it and tell everyone when to come pick up their salt. Of course with shipping rates skyrocketing I keep waiting to start hearing of online stores like BRS dropping their free shipping on salt.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three bags IO on schedule from Amazon. If it starts to pile up... that means I am getting behind on my maintenance schedule, so, it's like a delivery and reminder service all in one LOL.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%

Back