Salt water aquarium Test

Ra7deepan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 30 gallon new saltwater Aquarium today I test my tank water quality I will get ammonia level is 0 ppm, Nitrite level is 0 ppm and nitrate level is 0 ppm it's good for aquarium?

IMG_20240526_180835.jpg

GT3000XX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 30 gallon new saltwater Aquarium today I test my tank water quality I will get ammonia level is 0 ppm, Nitrite level is 0 ppm and nitrate level is 0 ppm it's good for aquarium?

IMG_20240526_180835.jpg
Have you cycled the aquarium? You should have some nitrates.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you had elevated ammonia sometime in the past, then it's safe to say it's cycled.

But if you just filled the tank and haven't added any organics or ammonia to kickstart the cycle, then you're not there yet.

The whole purpose of testing is to ensure you're fostering the growth of nitrifying bacteria and that is done by testing and watching the ammonia climb and them drop.

OP
OP
R

Ra7deepan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you had elevated ammonia sometime in the past, then it's safe to say it's cycled.

But if you just filled the tank and haven't added any organics or ammonia to kickstart the cycle, then you're not there yet.

The whole purpose of testing is to ensure you're fostering the growth of nitrifying bacteria and that is done by testing and watching the ammonia climb and them drop.
week before last I tested my tank water that time my tank nitrate level is 20 ppm..but today I have 0 ppm

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 clowns is 2 too many.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should I wait several days to increase nitrates?
Why? Nitrates is just the end result of the basic nitrfying process. Ammonia on the other hand is what we should be concerned with for saltwater fish.

That doesn't mean that you can add a bunch of fish all at once. At the beginning it's a delicate balancing act. The bacteria that's present is limited. As you add fish, the more ammonia is produced and the bacteria will need time to increase to accommodate.

OP
OP
R

Ra7deepan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? Nitrates is just the end result of the basic nitrfying process. Ammonia on the other hand is what we should be concerned with for saltwater fish.

That doesn't mean that you can add a bunch of fish all at once. At the beginning it's a delicate balancing act. The bacteria that's present is limited. As you add fish, the more ammonia is produced and the bacteria will need time to increase to accommodate.
So now my tank is normal?
Now i have 4 small Clownfishes in my tank and may I add one tang fish to in my tank?

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your 4 clowns will fight and kill each other. probably start within a month. The surviving will be battered and torn fins etc...If you put a tang in there, you will get ich and need a hospital tank for all fish to treat. It's just what to expect.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 83 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.4%
Back