Salt water in Rubbermaid container

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mix my salt in a Rubbermaid Brute container. I end up with about 5 gallons left over in case of
I run a pump on it continuously I believe it's about a 250 GPH pump
I'm getting a white residue all over the container what is going on? Too big a pump
The water is clear
Thanks

IMG_1107.JPG

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you mixing in salt into water or water into the dry salt? You should always mix in dry salt into water, never the other way around.(I'm sure you know this already) :)

Most likely your having some precipitation from the calcium in the salt mix. What salt mix are you using?

OP
OP
Bob Escher

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt into the water, Red Sea coral pro

I've never understood precipation when it comes to aquarium ( rain I do)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just some calcium carbonate. Its not a concern. Most mixes have excess of these anyway (Red Sea Coral Pro certainly does). :)

To reduce it, add the salt slowly to high flow, don't heat the water (or only when needed to use it) and don't keep stirring it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

oceanfreak09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since salt is one of the most corrosive naturally occurring substances, I try to keep it in glass and not in plastic containers.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since salt is one of the most corrosive naturally occurring substances, I try to keep it in glass and not in plastic containers.

Seawater is not "corrosive" to plastic, especially the inert plastic of a Brute trash can (polyethylene). :)

oceanfreak09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seawater is not "corrosive" to plastic, especially the inert plastic of a Brute trash can (polyethylene). :)

I know it's been thought to be safe for use in the reef hobby for mixing Salt water and storing top off, but I wonder why they are finding all kinds of plastic particles in the ocean from water bottles that are made out of the same material. [emoji846]

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know it's been thought to be safe for use in the reef hobby for mixing Salt water and storing top off, but I wonder why they are finding all kinds of plastic particles in the ocean from water bottles that are made out of the same material. [emoji846]
I don't think water bottles are typically made of polyethylene in the category 5 sense that brute containers are. And more to the point, what does that have to so with particles in the ocean? I'd say small pieces of plastic found in the water are just as/more likely to be caused by physical erosion as opposed to chemical.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's been thought to be safe for use in the reef hobby for mixing Salt water and storing top off, but I wonder why they are finding all kinds of plastic particles in the ocean from water bottles that are made out of the same material.

No doubt. There are many uses for plastics, and many of these start as particles (e.g., face scrubs), but a large polyethylene object such as a trash can is not fragmenting into particles simply due to exposure to seawater. I studied polyethylene and how to chemically modify it for my PhD thesis. It is a VERY tough material to break down.

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt. There are many uses for plastics, and many of these start as particles (e.g., face scrubs), but a large polyethylene object such as a trash can is not fragmenting into particles simply due to exposure to seawater. I studied polyethylene and how to chemically modify it for my PhD thesis. It is a VERY tough material to break down.

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could find a non-toxic way to dissolve plastic, you could afford a very large house and a very large tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back