salt

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thinking of switching salts i use aquaforest reef salt i do 30 gallon water changes on my system every week tank is 200 gallons you are able to check icp oes results online using the batch # so i did my batch showed 0 phosphates so i checked my mixed water phosphates tested 0.03 what salt would be good that does not contain phosphates was thinking tropic marin pro but used to use it then the recall happened and i stopped

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm now using tropic Marin pro, the first box was from Germany and the one I'm using now is from Turkey, and honestly I'm not having any issues.. if anything the Turkey salt mixes clearer faster then the Germany batch. I wouldn't doubt TM as that issue has been corrected.

Just my 2 cents

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Couple things. Home test kits aren’t accurate, precise, or reliable enough to measure .03 consistently.

All salts have the possibility of having some phosphate. There is nothing wrong with it. Phosphate is essential to life.

Phosphate could have been introduced from RO water or your mixing bin as well.

Zero reason to change salts.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How clean are your mixing barrels? TDS creep will build up inside. I wash my mixing barrels every 300 gal.

What are you referring to in terms of TDS creep in a sakt mixing barrel?

I never cleaned mine and see little reason to do so.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wash after every water change and then rinse b4 i mix another batch

Sounds entirely unnecessary to me. What are you trying to remove that would be an issue?

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont want a salt that has phosphate in it im relying on my water changes to lower phosphates it would make no sense to do water changes if im introducing phosphates after my water change

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont want a salt that has phosphate in it im relying on my water changes to lower phosphates it would make no sense to do water changes if im introducing phosphates after my water change

Salt mixes generally do not have enough phosphate to worry about, the residue in a salt mix is not particularly phosphate-laden, and water changes are an unusually poor way to lower phosphate since, unlike nitrate, even a 100% change with zero phosphate water may not lower as much as you wan since a lot may be bound to rock and sand and will come off when you try to lower phosphate.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t think water changes alone have any effect on reducing phosphates in a system .
If so it’s minimal .
Phosphates are bound to surfaces such as rocks sand , etc .

A phosphate reducing media could be added

from my understanding phosphates come from many products including the source water

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back