Saltwater Aquarium Setup Help

Manojkumar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I am trying to setup my saltwater aquarium (for clownfish).
I have the tank (with filter) and Sea Salt and Sand (Aragonite).

Can you pls suggest me if i need to put Sand first and then add water and the Salt ? or what are the steps ?

Thank you.
Manojkumar

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off welcome to R2R!!!
giphy.gif

I would suggest adding the sand first then add rock if you are doing so. Then water, would also mix up water and salt together prior to filling the tank.

OP
OP
M

Manojkumar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

I would suggest adding the sand first then add rock if you are doing so. Then water, would also mix up water and salt together prior to filling the tank.
giphy.gif

Thank you for your reply. Just want to confirm, so sand first then live rocks and the add water and then add salt.. am i correct ?

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! I agreed with @WIReefer, on the steps for adding. When you place your rock make sure that it’s sitting on the glass to avoid future shifting or falling over.

Also are you familiar with cycling your tank and build up health bacteria?

Golden rule of this hobby is slow and steady. The reef patient reefer is the rewarded reefer! Let us know if you have more questions happy to help!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As others have already said - add the live rock first, then sand, and then add pre-mixed saltwater. Additionally, I have found that pumping or pouring the water on to a bowl or plate that is in the tank will keep the sand from being stirred up. Good luck!

OP
OP
M

Manojkumar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have already said - add the live rock first, then sand, and then add pre-mixed saltwater. Additionally, I have found that pumping or pouring the water on to a bowl or plate that is in the tank will keep the sand from being stirred up. Good luck!
Pre-mixed salt water ? can i add salt at last? coz my tank size is 40 gallon.. how can i have the pre-mix saltwater for the 40 gallon of water?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pre-mixed salt water ? can i add salt at last? coz my tank size is 40 gallon.. how can i have the pre-mix saltwater for the 40 gallon of water?
Depending on what your plan was for mixing salt most people invest in a brute container and mix up large amounts of water in them for filling tank initially or you could use buckets but that might take some time!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your rock is dry rock and not "live rock" you can:

Place your rock in the tank.
Add sand.
Fill the tank with RO/DI water.
Add salt.

Add some bottled bacteria and wait for the cycle to begin. I'd add some flake food or better yet a piece of stable shrimp and let it rot for several days, then remove it.

As others have stated, having a container to mix your saltwater in will be needed if you don't buy premade saltwater.

A new grey Rubbermaid brute trash with a lid works well. Just clean it with some vinegar and water, dry it out before use.

You can get fancy and make a water changing station if you have the space. Mine:

IMG_20200301_142855352.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back