Saltwater + mac books = no good

FranklinDattein

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 7, 2014
Messages
337
Reaction score
352
Location
Gold Coast, Australia
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I have two mac book pros, sitting permanently 1 meter away from my tank and both started showing the same problem. Initially, the multi touch trackpad got stuck and a few months later it started coming off, as if there was something growing underneath it. I believe rust is building up due to proximity with saltwater.
I will open one of them and post some pictures, as soon as I have time

They are 4 years and 2 years old. Both of them started showing this issues around the two years mark.

I just wanted to give a head up, in case you care about your electronics.
 
I care about my electronics, that's why I don't buy Apple. :laugh:

All jokes aside, I'm curious how a laptop is in a "permanent" position. Why not just move it when it started showing signs of salt damage?
 
Hi everyone,
Initially, the multi touch trackpad got stuck and a few months later it started coming off, as if there was something growing underneath it. I believe rust is building up due to proximity with saltwater.

What makes you think rust is building up?
This is your battery expanding from overheating.
I just had to remove my 4.5 year old battery for the same reason and re-seat the trackpad.
Take it in to your apple store. The battery is covered for up to 3 years. If you are passed that, it will cost you $129 to replace or you can buy your own on amazon for about half that and replace it yourself.
 
What makes you think rust is building up?
This is your battery expanding from overheating.
I just had to remove my 4.5 year old battery for the same reason and re-seat the trackpad.
Take it in to your apple store. The battery is covered for up to 3 years. If you are passed that, it will cost you $129 to replace or you can buy your own on amazon for about half that and replace it yourself.

That makes more sense. Thanks
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new