Saltwater Mixing Station

dlichtii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am designing my mixing station and wanting to get some feedback if anyone sees any major problems. Going to use a pan world NH 40PX pump. I probably went overkill with valves a bit but I want to make sure I can isolate items. Another feature I wanted was to be able to fill and remove water with the same hose without changing connections.

Please let me know what you think.

RODI.png

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a regular garden hose? I’ve heard that you should replace it with silicone but I’m not sure that’s necessary.
Correct… the water only touches it for a few minutes and never had any problems… if it was sitting in there corroding then maybe…

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct… the water only touches it for a few minutes and never had any problems… if it was sitting in there corroding then maybe…

Where in the system is the garden hose involved? I cannot tell from the pictures.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in the system is the garden hose involved? I cannot tell from the pictures.
I have a reel on the wall… I just screw it on my mixing station pump to pump water in my house when I change water.. it’s not used for anything else ever. It does have aluminum ends on it vs the brass coated copper ones. Im actually doing a wc today I’ll snap ya a photo! Works like a charm.. I bought the entire setup from my buddy who used it for 5 years with zero issues on his tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reel on the wall… I just screw it on my mixing station pump to pump water in my house when I change water.. it’s not used for anything else ever. It does have aluminum ends on it vs the brass coated copper ones. Im actually doing a wc today I’ll snap ya a photo! Works like a charm.. I bought the entire setup from my buddy who used it for 5 years with zero issues on his tank.

OK. I'm happier to hear it has aluminum fittings. :)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. I'm happier to hear it has aluminum fittings. :)

Nope I lied lol.. they’re stainless.. he did use this regular hose as a extension onto the reel and gave it to me… I didn’t need it as the reel reaches my tank without problems. We both have large tanks so I feel if anything little thing did leach it wouldn’t hurt in 300+ gallons of water.
IMG_2455.jpeg

IMG_2456.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope I lied lol.. they’re stainless.. he did use this regular hose as a extension onto the reel and gave it to me… I didn’t need it as the reel reaches my tank without problems. We both have large tanks so I feel if anything little thing did leach it wouldn’t hurt in 300+ gallons of water.
IMG_2455.jpeg

IMG_2456.jpeg

Stainless is, of course, even better, and the green deposits on the brass hose fitting threads point out the concern: released copper.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stainless is, of course, even better, and the green deposits on the brass hose fitting threads point out the concern: released copper.
Agreed… I have used a garden hose with the brass here or there over the years.. this current mixing station just has a garden hose reel with those stainless fittings.. besides ro or saltwater it never touches anything! Besides my ato with kalk I tend to just shove it in there in the kalk slurry to refill the 25 gallons.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back