Saltwater proofing inkbird probe

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just purchased an Inkbird ITC-308 and I’ve heard that the temp probe can rust. Is there a way I can saltwater proof it? I was thinking maybe applying a thin layer of aquarium silicon would this help improve the life of the probe? My last probe went bad but I also but it used as it came with the tank.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why didn't you just buy the aquarium version? There have been several people who have siliconed over the probe before the aquarium version came out. Just make sure you give it time to cure and it should be fine.

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found that one BRS. It’s out of stock anyways and it doesn’t have the greatest reviews ever. Do you think that putting a layer of silicon over the probe would work though? I may buy that pvc plastic from Ranco but wondering if silicon will work.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can buy the reef safe temperature probe separately and swap it out with the stainless one. Although, I'm not sure if yours is disconnectable in order to be swapped out though.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put it into a thermal well as noted earlier - pretty much any length of sealed vinyl hose will suffice. It must be sealed at both ends to keep water out, obviously; but also to keep room air out otherwise the probe will not read the water temperature accurately

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might get the thermal well but in its description it said silicone is also something that can be used too. Would silicone that is used for sealing tanks work?

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dipped mine in epoxy. So far so good.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly highly recommend using the Bayite temp controller BTC201 over ink bird. Ink birds work great but drift over time and cant differentiate small temp changes. Bayite is same price and much better:)

Have to silicone the probes though, give them 1 or 2 weeks to cure.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back