SaltwaterandLime's epic adhd build thread....

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all know that most great projects start with a trip to Lowe's...

20220428_201823.jpg

... but this one actually started with a trip to the Toyota dealership...

20220414_210106.jpg

Now, I promise that this is a thread about a new reef tank, but nothing in my brain works in a straight line so you'll just have to follow along to see!

‐------------

Just to keep some relevant information in the top post..

Current tanks;

Innovative Marine 150EXT

• Advanced Acrylics PVC sump

Innovative Marine 50INT

• Fiji cube 24 sump
  • Kessil a500x
  • Ecotech Vectra S2
  • RedSea 300 skimmer
  • 2 x AI Nero3
  • ApexJr + EB832
  • 4 x Ecotech Versa
    • 2 heads for AWC
    • All for reef
    • Carbon source

Innovative Marine 30L aio

• 2 x Radion XR15 g5 blue

Innovative Marine 20g aio

• 2 x AI prime
  • MightyJet 538gph DC pump
  • Innovative Marine filter roller
  • AquaUV 8w UV
  • Aquamaxx bullet-1 hob skimmer
  • IM helio heater and controller
  • ATO
  • Gold Nugget maroon clown
  • ORA goldxlightning maroon
  • Spike the Urchin
  • Rainbow BTA
  • Soft corals
  • Rock and sand from TBS

Red Sea Reefer 250 G2

• 2 Ecotech Radion XR15 G5 – hanging from ceiling
  • 2 4 AI Nero 3 wavemakers with nem guards from Kraken Reef
  • Innovative Marine Helio Heater and controller
  • Sicce SDC 6.0 Return pump
  • Dual VCA Random Flow Generators
  • RedSea 300 skimmer
  • Red Sea ReefMat 500
  • Red Sea doser pumps
  • Bashsea acrylic 10 gallon ATO reservoir
  • Red Sea ReefWave 25 gyre pump
  • custom lid from top lids
  • marco rock (scape design by Conner)
  • CaribSea Live Sand, mix of reef sand and bimini pink
  • Tomini Tang (Tom)
  • Baby Hippo Tang (Dorinda)
  • Fancy Clownfish (Boris)
  • Royal Gramma (Gurgle)
  • Melanarus wrasse
  • Yellow Coris Wrasse (Tiny)
  • snails and hermit crabs

25 gallon waterbox peninsula

• DIY stand built by us
  • Ecotech Radion XR15
  • AI prime 16hd
  • Sicce syncra 1.0 return pump
  • Aquamaxx bullet 2 HOB skimmer
  • Innovative Marine helio heater and controller
  • XP Aqua Duetto2 ATO
  • Lid and filter basket from Kraken Reef
  • Live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater
  • Live Sand from Tampa Bay Saltwater
  • yellow watchman goby (Frank)
  • Bangaai cardinal (Guy)
  • assorted snails and hermit crabs, lots of micro brittle stars
  • 2 urchins (purple and black)
  • Macroalgae
  • kenya tree leather coral
  • mushroom corals
  • zoas and palys
  • GSP

10 gallon waterbox cube

Anemone tank

• Ecotech Radion XR15
  • sicce syncra 1.0 return pump
  • Aquamaxx bullet-1 skimmer
  • lid and filter basket from Kraken Reef
  • innovative marine heater and controller
  • 2 ocellaris clownfish (left and right)
  • snails
  • Urchin named spike

Tropic Marin Pro Salt,
Mix of redsea, tropic marin, and KorralenZucht additives

Clayton's Legacy Tank

www.saltwaterandlime.org

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been a Jeep person, I learned to drive on an old ww2 jeep that my grandfather brought back from the war. I've always loved cars and 4 wheeling and camping and getting muddy and turning my own wrenches.

FB_IMG_1611174236413.jpg

My grandfather taught me most of the skills I use in reef keeping honestly. He taught me plumbing and carpentry and a million other things I never knew I needed.

FB_IMG_1652664643336.jpg

I was very blessed to have a papa with the patience of a saint and the willingness to teach a girl anything she wanted to know.

FB_IMG_1652664148209.jpg

Papa gave me a love for anything with wheels, and a love for doing things myself.

FB_IMG_1652663910676.jpg

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was 15 I inherited a 1966 Malibu Chevelle from my grandmother, and my papa and my older cousin helped me restore it so that it was ready to drive by the time I was 16.

FB_IMG_1652664120326.jpg

12493460_1258828220801087_5816789063797382026_o.jpg

When we got done with all the body work, I begged them to let me paint it lime green but they refused. We ended up painting it a rather pretty icey blue silver but I never got over wanting a lime green car.

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clayton was my first born child. I had him when I was 19. From the time he could sit up on his own, he was my copilot and riding buddy. From 4 wheeling to trucks to boats to anything that moved he was right there with me. Clayton had always heard me talk about wanting a lime green car and he loved the idea. He and I had even talked about rebuilding an old jeep and painting it lime green. He once begged me to trade in his Honda 4wheeler for a Polaris model just because they came with lime green trim.

PhotoGrid_Plus_1651278155466.jpg

We lost Clayton to a tragic car accident 3 years ago. I stopped going to the woods. I stopped enjoying the jeep. The 4wheelers have been sitting in the barn ever since, and I've been terrified of the road.

Clayton also loved my freshwater aquariums, and enjoyed helping with them. I was given my very first saltwater tank a few months after he was killed and it helped give me something to focus on to keep from losing myself. My two younger boys have also gotten involved and it's given us something to do together.

My husband has been wonderfully supportive and helpful, but reefing is definitely "my" hobby much more than his.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had been talking on and off about selling my jeep, but hadn't made any real decisions about it.

20210423_154117.jpg

My husband had mentioned the possibility of a Toyota 4runner and we test drove a couple but it didn't quite feel right...

..... and then one day I drove past our local Toyota dealership and saw them unloading the perfect one. I walked in and signed the papers that very night.

20220414_154424.jpg

The very first thing we did was load it up and drive to Orlando for Reefapalooza. Not only did we drive to Orlando, but I drove myself on the interstate without having a panic attack for the first time in three years.

I know it's dumb, and I know it's just a truck, but it's hard to explain and somehow in this truck I feel like a have a part of Clayton with me beside me again, my copilot back again.

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I promised this thread was about a new reef build.... but I couldn't explain how big of a deal it is without including the back story.

While we were at reefapalooza we picked up a new tank from worldwide corals (WWC).

If we hadn't found the new truck, I wouldn't have driven to Orlando, and I wouldn't have had a vehicle capable of fitting a 48" tank in the back.

20220424_163606.jpg

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new tank is a Planet Aquariums Tideline AIO. It's 62 gallons and 48" x 18" x 15"

(Really only about 14" front to back in the display section, 4" for the sump area in the back)

20220501_102146.jpg

Right now it's sitting in storage at the old house while I get a stand and space set up.

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As it turns out, I didn't actually have a spot available in my house for a 4' long tank. So first I had to convince my family to help me move some furniture.

Now, I tend to move furniture often. My husband refers to it as my second favorite hobby. Even the mention of moving thing around causes my teenage boys to declare mutiny.

After a good bit of bribery I got some help and started moving things around. Somehow in the midst of moving things I realized that nothing I had matched and I had a meltdown and panicked and convinced my family we needed an entire new furniture set.

IMG_20220425_211021_598.jpg

So out with the old, and in with the new!!
(New to me at least. I found an amazing deal on Facebook market place)

I started looking for just a dresser that I could convert into a stand for the new tank and instead found an entire 5 piece wood bedroom set for only $125

20220426_211017.jpg

20220507_121425.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once we got all the new furniture into the house, I had a brief moment of panic while I realized that it didn't match the house at all since it's a pretty yellow cream off-white and my walls are all bright white and gray. I tried to convince everyone that I now needed to re-paint the entire house (or paint the furniture) but I lost that battle and we are moving forward with everything staying the same color it is currently.

PhotoGrid_Plus_1651091264976.jpg

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My original plan had been to move my 10g waterbox from the dresser it had previously been on to the new nightstand. Once I started looking closer at the nightstand I realized it wasn't solid wood like I first thought. Even though the tank is only 10g I knew it would need some reinforcements if I wanted it to last.

20220501_121508.jpg

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a side track, I'm still really struggling with finding a name for the new truck.

IMG_20220501_101258_293.jpg

It's a 4runner.... so part of me really wants to give it a name from the HALO video game series. I'm even currently re-reading the book series to help with ideas.

But then part of me wants to give it a name based on the color. Like Tinkerbell or something.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had been talking on and off about selling my jeep, but hadn't made any real decisions about it.

20210423_154117.jpg

My husband had mentioned the possibility of a Toyota 4runner and we test drove a couple but it didn't quite feel right...

..... and then one day I drove past our local Toyota dealership and saw them unloading the perfect one. I walked in and signed the papers that very night.

20220414_154424.jpg

The very first thing we did was load it up and drive to Orlando for Reefapalooza. Not only did we drive to Orlando, but I drove myself on the interstate without having a panic attack for the first time in three years.

I know it's dumb, and I know it's just a truck, but it's hard to explain and somehow in this truck I feel like a have a part of Clayton with me beside me again, my copilot back again.
Not dumb at all , it’s always tough losing someone . Good luck on your build .

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a side track, I'm still really struggling with finding a name for the new truck.

IMG_20220501_101258_293.jpg

It's a 4runner.... so part of me really wants to give it a name from the HALO video game series. I'm even currently re-reading the book series to help with ideas.

But then part of me wants to give it a name based on the color. Like Tinkerbell or something.
Looks like a margarita without the salt! Or AB Plus energy! Looking forward to your tanks.

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next project I decided to tackle was setting up my RODI system.

I actually bought it at least 6 months ago if not longer, but I keep changing my mind about where I want to install it so I had still been buying water from my LFS

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We finally decided to install it under my kitchen island, with the hook up being under my sink, and the filter and water containers sitting under the island counter top

The booster pump took me from about 30psi up to almost 90psi

I know that eventually i want to add more stages to the system and split the anion/cation resins because of my well water, but for now this is working really well.

20220522_191635.jpg
20220530_111603.jpg
20220530_131431.jpg
20220530_131450.jpg
20220530_143328.jpg
20220530_173721.jpg

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In other news, I've decided to sell the new planet aquariums tideline AIO before I've ever even set it up.

I've known for a long time that my real goal is to have a tank with a sump, and the more we planned the more we realized that I would fairly soon be trying to upgrade the tideline tank and at decided it would be smarter to just go ahead and save up for the tank I really wanted instead of putting so much money and effort into a system I knew I would never be happy with.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 112 57.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 57 29.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 70 36.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.9%
Back