samnaz’s Long and Shallow Rimless [upgrade in progress]

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the substrate. I went with Tropic Eden Meso Flakes and I couldn't be happier. Somehow the sand just stays white. I love the stuff.

Sean1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I missed it, But are you using the Accel Water flow return line or one of the random flow generators. Im curious to see what you think of them in your tank. I may switch over depending on how you like it ;):p

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I missed it, But are you using the Accel Water flow return line or one of the random flow generators. Im curious to see what you think of them in your tank. I may switch over depending on how you like it ;):p
I’m using the vivid random flow generator, I got both the 3/4” and 1” just in case but I doubt my return line will push enough flow for the 1”. I’ll be sure to update on its performance as soon as I get it running. Hopefully in a couple weeks.

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snagged a Kessil H80 + controller for the refugium.
20180722-IMG_8930-20.jpg

20180722-IMG_8937-21.jpg

20180722-IMG_8957-22.jpg

Attempting to manage all the cables in an organized fashion. And this isn't everything... Skimmer, ATO, reactor, H80 and controller power cords have yet to be managed.
20180722-IMG_8983-24.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the H80 on my füge as well. Good little light. I ended up using just a basic on off timer
I feel silly for spending $100 on that controller. Will most likely return/sell it and get a basic on/off timer. I just need something reliable. Where'd you find the one you're using?

Everything’s lookin great! Love the clean plumbing!
Thanks much!

Cable management... the evil of all reef tanks. Good luck with that.
I like your steady progress. Slowly but straight ahead.
As much as I'd like to put this off until later and get the tank wet asap... I know if I don't do it now I never will. I'm starting to get a lil antsy. ;Nailbiting

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@samnaz - Gorgeous looking tank but as we all know the smaller the tank the harder it is to maintain! I like what you did with the returns and your External Overflow box,.
I went with the Synergy 20'' external overflow box on my 150. Here is a shot of the back of the tank to show ya how its going to be hard plumbed!

I send personal regards from FL,

FLShark

37251620_1305067376294908_1310418689790574592_n.jpg

ExternalOverflow#2.jpg

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@samnaz - Gorgeous looking tank but as we all know the smaller the tank the harder it is to maintain! I like what you did with the returns and your External Overflow box,.
I went with the Synergy 20'' external overflow box on my 150. Here is a shot of the back of the tank to show ya how its going to be hard plumbed!

I send personal regards from FL,

FLShark

37251620_1305067376294908_1310418689790574592_n.jpg

ExternalOverflow#2.jpg
True smaller may be more difficult but my current 20 gallon is a piece of cake, has been for 2 years, so this one should be easy enough.

As for your overflow box plumbing, do you plan on including a strainer or elbows or leaving it as is?

Ps I saw on your Facebook your recent lion fish haul, very impressive. I would love to eat one some day but haven’t had luck finding them in Florida, unless I caught them myself, and I live in Michigan, sadly...

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True smaller may be more difficult but my current 20 gallon is a piece of cake, has been for 2 years, so this one should be easy enough.

As for your overflow box plumbing, do you plan on including a strainer or elbows or leaving it as is?

Ps I saw on your Facebook your recent lion fish haul, very impressive. I would love to eat one some day but haven’t had luck finding them in Florida, unless I caught them myself, and I live in Michigan, sadly...

Rear box allows for various plumbing combinations, including the popular full siphon system (aka bean animal)

Sean1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cable management is my weak spot, I suck at it lol.

Was looking at your main drain line going into the sump, depending on where your water levels are at you may need to shrink the length of that so the line can purge of air. If not it could be loud and produce some air bubbles as well. Easy fix once its up and running. But that was an issue I had. Was my first time doing a bean animal overflow.

Love the build so far and looking forward to its progression and when it finally gets wet!

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, slow and steady is going to win the race on this one!

Love the attention to detail and making sure it gets set up right before you dive into it. It looks like we went through a lot of the same struggles at the start (cheap stands, idea swings, etc!) Following along, and looking forward to seeing this wet!

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad to see someone taking their time on their build like I am doing. :) Just read through from my last post here - a long time ago. You did a great job! I understand life getting in the way - believe me. I have two unfinished tanks and I already want to re-do another. ;)Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad to see someone taking their time on their build like I am doing. :) Just read through from my last post here - a long time ago. You did a great job! I understand life getting in the way - believe me. I have two unfinished tank and I already want to re-do another. Keep up the good work!

Gotta love the slow and steady! @samnaz, loving the progression and that I have another person who's taking it nice and slow with there build:)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back