samnaz’s Long and Shallow Rimless [upgrade in progress]

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you run a chiller?

No. We have central air and I have thrown a fan on it once or twice on those between days. I run around 79*F and if it gets up to say 84 I consider the fan or the AC.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear/read this update.
Nice progress I see. You are so close to get this tank wet and then there is no stopping or slowing down.
It is good you take all the time to get the last bits sorted out.

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear/read this update.
Nice progress I see. You are so close to get this tank wet and then there is no stopping or slowing down.
It is good you take all the time to get the last bits sorted out.
Great to see you're still tagging along. so close indeed.

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on installing the Spectrapure Maxcap RO/DI. Ran into a couple snags along the way, one being my failure to read the label on the membrane I purchased a while ago.

Not only is it expired, I never put it in the fridge. ;Facepalm

IMG_9755.jpg

IMG_9756.JPG

I'm assuming this is trash now...?

I'm planning to run the RO/DI for a bit to clear it out since it's been in storage for at least 2 years, with some really old water sitting in the tubing and such.

When I do that, perhaps I could use the old expired membrane instead of using/dirtying a new one, or would that just contaminate everything and defeat the purpose? What do you guys think?

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on installing the Spectrapure Maxcap RO/DI. Ran into a couple snags along the way, one being my failure to read the label on the membrane I purchased a while ago.

Not only is it expired, I never put it in the fridge. ;Facepalm

IMG_9755.jpg

IMG_9756.JPG

I'm assuming this is trash now...?

I'm planning to run the RO/DI for a bit to clear it out since it's been in storage for at least 2 years, with some really old water sitting in the tubing and such.

When I do that, perhaps I could use the old expired membrane instead of using/dirtying a new one, or would that just contaminate everything and defeat the purpose? What do you guys think?

If the bag was still properly closed, I would still use it and check TDS of the output to see if the membrane is still doing its job.
If TDS is zero, you would be still good.

I have such a membranes in storage as well for a long time and did not have any issue with it when installing them.

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably by far my favorite build thread, everything is so clean and well done. One day in the future I hope to upgrade my 20g to a 60 long using this as inspiration.
Gosh I'm flattered, thank you. I can't take credit for all the ideas though, most of them came from countless other incredible build threads on here, so credit goes to them! Good luck on your future upgrade. ;Happy

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the bag was still properly closed, I would still use it and check TDS of the output to see if the membrane is still doing its job.
If TDS is zero, you would be still good.

I have such a membranes in storage as well for a long time and did not have any issue with it when installing them.
Cool, I'll give it a go.

Also, the DI cartridge shelf life is 6 months, missed the memo on that too... Both of them were purchased nearly 2 years ago. Think I should give them a try anyway?

My current tap water TDS is 260 - woah. ;Jawdrop

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not good. I have seen over 1,000 TDS though so could be worse. They would only get a few hundred gallons before changing out the filters. I am loving my 37 TDS tap water BTW. My cartridges last forever. Actually just switched them out this weekend.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I'll give it a go.

Also, the DI cartridge shelf life is 6 months, missed the memo on that too... Both of them were purchased nearly 2 years ago. Think I should give them a try anyway?

My current tap water TDS is 260 - woah. ;Jawdrop

It doesn't hurt to try. Worst thing that happens is it doesn't work and you have to order more. Honestly as others have mentioned, if they were both sealed properly they will probably be fine. Your TDS is nothing to sweat, as @NY_Caveman said it could be much, MUCH worse. I made a poll a while ago and some poor soul had 1450ish TDS.... I didn't even know how to respond. Lol

And I have no idea how I've been missing all these wonderful updates !!! ;Shifty;Shifty

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not good. I have seen over 1,000 TDS though so could be worse. They would only get a few hundred gallons before changing out the filters. I am loving my 37 TDS tap water BTW. My cartridges last forever. Actually just switched them out this weekend.

It doesn't hurt to try. Worst thing that happens is it doesn't work and you have to order more. Honestly as others have mentioned, if they were both sealed properly they will probably be fine. Your TDS is nothing to sweat, as @NY_Caveman said it could be much, MUCH worse. I made a poll a while ago and some poor soul had 1450ish TDS.... I didn't even know how to respond. Lol

And I have no idea how I've been missing all these wonderful updates !!! ;Shifty;Shifty

I know my tap TDS could be much much higher, I consider myself lucky to have tap water that’s of good enough quality to drink myself. I’m just saying it’s really high TDS for having used it with my tank for 2+ years. Will be very interesting to see how things change with RODI water.

Nice to have you back @JoshH now that you mention it I haven’t seen an update on your build in a bit, must check now... o_O

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know my tap TDS could be much much higher, I consider myself lucky to have tap water that’s of good enough quality to drink myself. I’m just saying it’s really high TDS for having used it with my tank for 2+ years. Will be very interesting to see how things change with RODI water.

Nice to have you back @JoshH now that you mention it I haven’t seen an update on your build in a bit, must check now... o_O

It's nice to be back! And you can hold off for about a week on checking my build thread, by then I'll have another update and it will hopefully be a big one.:)

Zach Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that they bag says what it says on the membrane as far as shelf life but at the end of the day. If the dog is expected to live 10 years..."shelf life", You gonna get rid of it or give it a go? I say check it with a tds meter and make sure your getting the gpd out of it and if it is good then roll with it. Just my 2 cents

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... this tank is gorgeous.

I love the stealthy mystique of the all tinted and black everything. Gothic. My kinda look.

Here for the trek.. amazing start and nice updates with pictures all the way through. I love ur stand too.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! When do you plan on doing the transfer?

I am transfering my 90g into my new Nuvo 30l so we are kind of in the same boat lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back