San Francisco Bay Brand opinions?

Crested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I recently got my first fish (a firefish) and have been feeding San Francisco Bay frozen mysis. He seems to enjoy it and doesn't hesitate to eat it but was wondering how good it is? Do you guys like it? What brand do you recommend for the best color?

Also, what kind of frozen food other than mysis do you recommend for firefish? He isn't taking pellets yet so I'm sticking to frozen for now but want some variety in his diet.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose to make my own food

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use flakes, pellets, Rods, LRS, and brine shrimp. Mine seems to enjoy everything.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think mysis shrimp are mysis shrimp

Try reef frenzy food by LRS, its a mix of a bunch of different stuff providing a good balance all in one.

Its stinks like crazy but my fish love it

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Try reef frenzy food by LRS, its a mix of a bunch of different stuff providing a good balance all in one.

I haven't really noticed LRS smelling too bad or any worse than other food, but PE calanus. oh my. that stuff is the worst even frozen

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't really noticed LRS smelling too bad or any worse than other food, but PE calanus. oh my. that stuff is the worst even frozen
Mine doesent smell like anything, I think you have a bad batch.

I wouldn’t use SF brand. My fish and coral actually got sick after using that brand when I was in a pinch and couldn’t get to my LfS, had to resort to petco. Hakari is the cleanest imo, pe is the most nutritious and meaty, imo.

spurlina brine hakari, and hakari mysis are good to have in addition to pe mysis for smaller fish, calanus is pretty good for super small fish or things like mandarins. All these are good foods to have in your marine food prep freezer. Firefish love Roe if you have access to reef nutrition products.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wouldn’t use SF brand. My fish and coral actually got sick after using that brand when I was in a pinch and couldn’t get to my LfS, had to resort to petco. Hakari is the cleanest imo, pe is the most nutritious and meaty, imo.

spurlina brine hakari, and hakari mysis are good to have in addition to pe mysis for smaller fish, calanus is pretty good for super small fish or things like mandarins. All these are good foods to have in your marine food prep freezer. Firefish love Roe if you have access to reef nutrition products.

hmm really, that's interesting. thanks for the heads up i might have to toss it

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm really, that's interesting. thanks for the heads up i might have to toss it
The pe mysis usually smells like a bag of ***** But the calanus is actually scentless, to my nose at least lol.

OP
OP
Crested

Crested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hmmm odd, it has pretty good reviews on a couple of websites, but I don't really want to take the chance so I'll just toss it haha
Thanks for the heads up

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea LRS is high quality as well, and I’ve heard good things about Rods, but I haven’t used it myself to comment.
I used to just toss in cubes. With LRS, when my fish see me walking up with a red Solo cup they know what's about to go down.

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for recommending LRS Foods! It really shouldn't stink too bad when handled and transported properly. The fresh perch do have a little bit of a "fishy" smell but that is to be expected. We have not had any other reports of an offensive smell and each package does have a lot number stamped on the rear for inventory tracking and quality control. The odor you are observing may be what causes LRS to have such a strong feeding response. Thanks again for your support.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seahorses and they are sensitive to bacterial infections of the gut. I use SB and Hikari exclusively and my ponies are doing well. I would not be afraid to recommend it. Any fish will do best if they eat a variety of foods in their diet however.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I alternate between LRS and Rod's food. Both work well for me. Rod's is always in stock at my lfs. LRS is hit or miss as far as always being in stock. My lfs was out of reef frenzy for over month. They said it was a supply problem on LRS's end. I buy extra when they have it in stock as a result.

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I alternate between LRS and Rod's food. Both work well for me. Rod's is always in stock at my lfs. LRS is hit or miss as far as always being in stock. My lfs was out of reef frenzy for over month. They said it was a supply problem on LRS's end. I buy extra when they have it in stock as a result.

Not sure why the LFS would say that. In seven years we have NEVER been out of stock of Reef, Fish, Herbivore, Chunky or Nano foods. We have over $100k worth of LRS ready to ship from the walk-in freezer on any given day. We are very good at inventory management to keep the supply chain filled. They only food we backordered twice was our Fertility Frenzy broodstock formula. When aquaculture facilities order it is usually in 50/100 pack lots and sometimes they ask to just ship everything we have.

We do thank you for the support!

Christmas Shipping Pile.jpg

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why the LFS would say that. In seven years we have NEVER been out of stock of Reef, Fish, Herbivore, Chunky or Nano foods. We have over $100k worth of LRS ready to ship from the walk-in freezer on any given day. We are very good at inventory management to keep the supply chain filled. They only food we backordered twice was our Fertility Frenzy broodstock formula. When aquaculture facilities order it is usually in 50/100 pack lots and sometimes they ask to just ship everything we have.

We do thank you for the support!

Christmas Shipping Pile.jpg

I'm thinking that my lfs said that to cover their butts. They went through personnel changes at the time and probably didn't want to look incompetent. I'm thinking the person that was placing orders left and it took some time for them do fill that vacancy.

Huge fan of your company! Thanks for awesome products!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back