Is it legal for me to go fishing in the San Francisco Bay for fish to put in my new aquarium?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah OP fish and game officers take that super seriously, I wouldnt risk it since the answer is probably a no and with how restrictive california is on other stuff Ill bet its a no…
I’m going to grant and exception to the OP just this one time.
Thanks
Gavin.

patdman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The law that is written and a Law that is enforced are two different things. Growing up We had multiple pet rattlesnakes that lived in a 120-gallon aquarium. We had them for years. We caught the Pacific diamondback snake behind Mt. Rainer on Chinook past. One died from old age. The other gave it to a friend. This friend was raided by the game department for poaching deer. They came to the house to pick up the stuffed deer that he had illegally shot. They said nothing about the rattlesnake they just took it and never got a ticket, and they told us we just needed a permit. I've also had pet deer, crows, and raccoons. I don't recommend raccoons they can be very aggressive towards your other animals such as cats. Plus, when they find the sugar bowl you cannot touch them. The trick with raccoons is that you have to get the baby before their eyes open. The crow was probably my favorite it was just like a dog, again better to get him when he was still in the nest. You can call his name "Max" (named after mad max) and he fly to you. There will be no criminal charges unless you get caught. My experience from being a fisherman for like 25 years they never check, or you can easily get them home. 1 more had a pet magpie was cool 2

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The law says you can live in California but cannot breathe the air with the exception if you breathe it through a soft paper straw while being submerged in water but the water molecules cannot come in contact with your body or else.

patdman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't go to a state park and try catching ducks in front of a park ranger lol. When you have a pet rattle snake all you have to do is post a sign on your front door snake is out. And no one will come into your house lol.

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s generally illegal to transport live fish from the waters in which they were caught anywhere in CA.

That said, it’s perfectly legal to catch fish for your aquarium - you just can’t legally transport them after you do, so don’t waste your time.
Bring a 5g tank with a large "Therapy Animal" sticker on it. Now you're just taking your service fish out for a nice swim before returning home.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is the fish and wildlife dept so against taking wildlife and keeping them as pets? Is it because of disease? Or are they just control freaks?

If you have a concern you could always reach out to them. They are very approachable. All you have to do is take the first step.

During our drought I reached out to the water resource control board to ask about collecting natural sea water. Same with fish and wild life. Once I got routed to the proper department they are very cool and helpful once I explained what I was trying to do.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back