Is it legal for me to go fishing in the San Francisco Bay for fish to put in my new aquarium?

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it legal for me to go fishing in the San Francisco Bay for fish to put in my future aquarium? I want to have a coldwater saltwater aquarium. I'm planning on either a 40 or 55 gallon tank. Obviously I would fish for only the small fishes. Would this work?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it legal for me to go fishing in the San Francisco Bay for fish to put in my future aquarium? I want to have a coldwater saltwater aquarium. I'm planning on either a 40 or 55 gallon tank. Obviously I would fish for only the small fishes. Would this work?
Contact your local wildlife/fisheries authority.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everywhere in the bay area are size restrictions, at least for fishing.
If caught with too small you can get a costly ticket.
Different fish have different size limits,but those limits are way too big for a hobbiests tank anyways.
Don't know about the tide pools, but those are in a different area and I believe they're pretty strict as well.
Best to check as mentioned above.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everywhere in the bay area are size restrictions, at least for fishing.
If caught with too small you can get a costly ticket.
Different fish have different size limits,but those limits are way too big for a hobbiests tank anyways.
Don't know about the tide pools, but those are in a different area and I believe they're pretty strict as well.
Best to check as mentioned above.
And regardless, I'm sure you'll need a current fishing license.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal mentioned, best to ask dnr. Lots of states also prohibit live posession of game animals. Like if you caught a fish, and it was legal to posess as game, that does NOT mean that you can keep it alive as a pet, just eat it.

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal mentioned, best to ask dnr. Lots of states also prohibit live posession of game animals. Like if you caught a fish, and it was legal to posess as game, that does NOT mean that you can keep it alive as a pet, just eat it.

What if you're just keeping it fresh? Like for a really long time? In your living room?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to put this out there, there are places that sell coldwater specimens, including specimens native to California's coast (Matsu Collections is a great source for California specimens), so you could still set up a coldwater aquarium legally even if you can't collect the fish yourself:

patdman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about catching an octopus.

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is the fish and wildlife dept so against taking wildlife and keeping them as pets? Is it because of disease? Or are they just control freaks?

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And regardless, I'm sure you'll need a current fishing license.
Correct.
This is more where they got you every time.
I was born in the bay area, basically on the boat. We got boarded a few times. They never cared about live or dead fish.
They would just take them out of the cooler and measure them.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

patdman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct.
This is more where they got you every time.
I was born in the bay area, basically on the boat. We got boarded a few times. They never cared about live or dead fish.
They would just take them out of the cooler and measure them.
Agree. I used to come to the Bay Area to fish for Dungeness crabs until the whales got in the way. I always took fish home to eat like ling cod. I also ate octopus. I just wanted to keep one for a pet. When I was there in the bay area, we always parked the boat at Hyde Street pier. The best times. I go up town and trade crabs to Chinese vendors. Maybe take some to the mamas an and get good massage

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unless you catch fish that are seen as food and can be kept under the regulations of commercial fishing and above the size restrictions everything else which includes anything in tide pools and most inverts are protected. That being said a majority of fish collected as food will be too big or unfit for an aquarium in the long run or even short run and releasing anything back into the wild is illegal even if it’s native. So my advice don’t attempt it especially in a tank that small.

Last edited:

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s generally illegal to transport live fish from the waters in which they were caught anywhere in CA.

That said, it’s perfectly legal to catch fish for your aquarium - you just can’t legally transport them after you do, so don’t waste your time.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah OP fish and game officers take that super seriously, I wouldnt risk it since the answer is probably a no and with how restrictive california is on other stuff Ill bet its a no…

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been round and round with DFW about the ridiculous and inconsistencies of the laws. In the end they always say "We are here to enforce the laws not make them." You can do a lot with a fishing license with an ocean stamp. Some just not so direct. For example; seaweed and kelp are covered in plankton and zooplankton. You are allowed to collect a certain amount of kelp per day. All that attached planktonic material can grow into something else. Some mollusks can be collected, such as an octopus and certain snails, etc. A piece of old pier wood can have strawberry anemones on them, which are not really anemones but a type of NPS coral. Just search the DFW website of what you can and can not do. But you can end up having a pretty nice temperate tank.
IMG_1514.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back