Sand floating in tank

Shaggymv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all

picked up a Diamond Goby (Casper). He’s doing great in my BioCube 32…

problem is, my tank is now full of sand floating around…. Any way to reduce this (family loves the Goby, so can’t get rid of him)

thanks
shaggy

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
post a tank picture pls in order to be helped best.

need to see details

most sand used is unrinsed, out of fear of bacterial loss, and that keeps in silts that can easily be cast about when interactions happen, even after cycling is completed.

other tanks use oolite sand so fine, any form of prep still leaves a silt-like sand in place to blow around in the slightest disturbance, need pics and what kind of sand did you use.

very few sands actually float, that's sounding like the exact reason we made the official sand rinse thread as a causative, but pics will decide best.

OP
OP
Shaggymv

Shaggymv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s a combination of Caribsea Special and Fiji-Pink

Thanks

A6F5051F-44E4-44E7-9482-19B68E9CD25C.jpeg 370242D0-9DE9-4FA4-A0CF-E2173AD88557.jpeg

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based on those pics the floc will happen a week or so and then likely settle if you have some sort of catchment in place like a sponge or some biomedia in the back that trap waste and is cleaned.

if the system is pretty closed to particle export then the circulation of the silt w continue a while/undecided end point.

pre rinsing of bagged sand whether wet or dry removes this headache in all cases where the sand wasn't the tiniest oolite fraction, this above is typical reef sand its not oolite. pre rinsing would have helped here.

it doesnt look bad at all in pics, what you're seeing is the small details only views in person can notice. very nice reef.

not that you'd want to do it, but we have fifty pages here of redoing that type of job above and making a perfectly cloudless reef in about two hours. nobody says you have to entertain any clouding at all, if you don't want to

its terribly easy to take apart that reef, tap rinse the whole sandbed to perfection, final rinse in ro, then set rocks back on top and refill. it will not cause a cycle, it causes awesomeness its how we're up to fifty pages.

if you want to redo your sand vs add it to a prior uncleaned area, we specialize in that. your reef can be perfect ready in 2-three hours.

you could drain off most of your water and hold as re use, it doesnt have to be all new water going back in the re built tank.

if you think the goby is about to stay busy, then consider copying what we do there and you'll get the same results.

Last edited:

Fredinva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a surface skimmer. It removes almost anything floating around in the tank. For my 125 Fowlr, I built my own with a length of 4" square pvc. A small pump is near the bottom of the filter, with a grate over it. Then a section for Marine bio balls, another grate, and floss on top. Helps keep my water crystal clear. The small white dots are all bubbles from a hob filter.

Attachments

• 20211017_202022.jpg
    20211017_202022.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20211017_202038.jpg
    20211017_202038.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 23
Back