0   1   0
Has anyone tried a sand bed in refugium or the marine balls better

Last edited:

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE sand and love it’s bio load capacity. But I would not put it in a fuge personally. I have done it several times before but found it difficult to upkeep with the detritus a fuge creates!! I do have a strong affinity for baskets of LR rubble in my fuge. I used to use small tomato baskets from the grocery store. They make GREAT slower filter zones and create an amazing home for pods in the fuge. To clean you just shake. I have also tried the ceramic balls in the past but they seem to clog/coat easily and create tons of ceramic dust. For whatever my two cents is worth.

i have (in my mind only) played with the idea of using large calcium reactor media as a substrate for a fuge. It sounds like it would create a detritus trap but every time I’ve seen someone use it as substrate it looks very clean all the way to the bottom -which I have never understood. So for now I’ll stick with my baskets and movable rock piles in the fuge. My overall advice is keep it easy to clean fuges get dirty.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only keep rock in my refugium and still is a mess. I can only imagine the mess having sand in there. It would be a detritus factory.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back