Sand is Sand is Sand...

Rooster450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize if this has already been discussed in this forum. I have been fortunate to receive a few used reef systems recently, free of charge except for the effort to move them. In addition to many other items, I'm now the owner of LOTS of new (used) sand - hundreds of pounds. I cleaned/rinsed most of the sand after moving it. Most of it is sitting damp in buckets, while some of the sand is sitting almost dry in large tubs.

One idea I had was to use a couple of large, shallow 100 gallon tubs, plumed-into a multi-tank system I already have, and get all the sand "alive" again before either using it in a new system or possibly selling what I don't need. My question is this: How can I determine what kind of sand it is? Is there a "wrong" type of sand to use in a reef system? I don't know where this sand originally came from, and I don't want to waste time/money/effort on the wrong type of sand.

Thanks

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, as far as sand is concerned, you don’t want to use playground sand as there are no buffering capabilities. A live or dry aragonite sand or crushed coral is ideal for a reef biotope.
I would be wary also in using sand from another tank, other than using live sand from a tank that is set up and cycled. It could be loaded with detritus or ammonia, and nitrites, which are harmful to most reef inhabitants.
Your better off playing it safe and buying new sand that you know what’s in it and what kind it is.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always buy dry so the “live” part is irrelevant to me. But somethings that do matter to me are.

Grain size, really small blows everywhere, too course and risk injury to sand dwelling fish.

Carbonate based sand thats not black lol.

OP
OP
R

Rooster450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, as far as sand is concerned, you don’t want to use playground sand as there are no buffering capabilities. A live or dry aragonite sand or crushed coral is ideal for a reef biotope.
I would be wary also in using sand from another tank, other than using live sand from a tank that is set up and cycled. It could be loaded with detritus or ammonia, and nitrites, which are harmful to most reef inhabitants.
Your better off playing it safe and buying new sand that you know what’s in it and what kind it is.
Thanks - I guess I should clarify that I do know the people where the systems came from, and I do know they were set-up as successful reef/fish systems for many years. They just could not answer the question of "Where did you get the sand from?"

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back