Sand particles harming fish

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the ugly stage for a few weeks now. I was told by my local fish store that it would be good to mix up the sand and get some of the air bubbles in the sand out. Is that a good idea to mix things up with all of that diatoms? And when I mixed some of it up there are lots of sand particles in the water. Is that bad for the fish?

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the ugly stage for a few weeks now. I was told by my local fish store that it would be good to mix up the sand and get some of the air bubbles in the sand out. Is that a good idea to mix things up with all of that diatoms? And when I mixed some of it up there are lots of sand particles in the water. Is that bad for the fish?
will the diatoms spread doing this?

Aquamann88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand partials won't harm your fish

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've heard, ammonia bubbles can build up in the sandbed, stirring them up can cause an ammonia spike, best piece of info, don't touch the sandbed

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back