Sand removal!

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello R2R!

has anyone taken the sand out of your tank after having it in for a year+? what side effects did you notice? negative? positive?

i know this is a loaded question depending on...
how old is the sand?
how deep is the sand bed?
has the sand ever been siphoned?
did you remove all the sand at once?
what other forms of nutrient reduction is in the tank?
etc

i just want to know what other peoples experiences with this has been.

thank you
-Dan

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still in the process of removal. With regular water changes i do, which is around 10 gallons a week, I just take out small amounts at a time.

No change with corals. Now I do have wrasses that sleep in the sand bed, so leaving a small amount of sand is needed.

I'm replacing my sand bed, so that will be done in small sections as well till done.

OP
OP
SneakyTortuga

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still in the process of removal. With regular water changes i do, which is around 10 gallons a week, I just take out small amounts at a time.

No change with corals. Now I do have wrasses that sleep in the sand bed, so leaving a small amount of sand is needed.

I'm replacing my sand bed, so that will be done in small sections as well till done.
thats what ive been in the process of. with my weekly 10 gallon water change ive been removing small portions of sand

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed my sandbed in my 20gal over a month or so with weekly water changes as well. It was only and inch or so deep at the most and no noticeable difference to corals. It was probably only 7-8 months old at the time.

shark keeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed all of the sand from my 180. I cannot stress enough the comments of take it slow. I probably went overboard but it took me a little over two month to remove all of mine. It had been in the tank for years.

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 180G, and I’ve also been contemplating removing my 1”-2” of sand in small increments over a month or two.

On the flip side, if I regret the look, I guess one can reintroduce sand via a funnel and an acrylic pipe (for the hard-to-reach areas).

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan, I meant to add that if you have any concerns on parameters, you can always test later that day or the next day after pulling out -x- quantity of sand so that you can track any shifts in basic parameters (pH, NH₃, NO₂- NO₃-).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back