Sand sifting fish that won't cover my corals?

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a fish that would keep my sandbed sifted and clean, but am concerned that they would also constantly cover my coral with sand. Are there any good fish that would generally stay by the sand and not make a huge mess? I had a dragon goby many years ago in my 40 gallon, and it was constantly a snowstorm of sand. I now have a 150 gallon, but don't want to get a fish that will make more mess than it's worth.

Thoughts? suggestions? Anything in particular to avoid?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sifts sand but respects your prized coral.

It's called the Holy Grail Blenny.

OP
OP
R

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sifts sand but respects your prized coral.

It's called the Holy Grail Blenny.
I was worried that might be the case...I have a puffer and trigger in my tank already, so most normal sand sifting critters are out. Hoping to find something that would be compatible, but not be more pain than they are worth.

My trigger and some other fish are already ******s at a small scale and will pick up a mouthful of sand and drop it infront of my powerheads and sprinkle my coral with sand. So a bit of that would be expected, but I dont' want a sandstorm.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Averse to cucumbers? Maybe a tigertail?

OP
OP
R

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Averse to cucumbers? Maybe a tigertail?
Maybe...I read they can poison an aquarium if they get stressed or die, and shouldn't be housed with aggressive fish (puffer/trigger?) I've never had one, so not sure how big of a concern that would really be.

nashvillian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d think a larger shrimp goby would be your best bet (Pink spotted, Yellow Watchman). Are you talking about ground level corals? If so, I don’t think anything.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like BTA's, there may be a risk of nuking a tank, but I think its vastly overblown. Not sure about compatibility with other fish. I've never owned one either, but want to some day. I know some people say they are super hardy and resilient though.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d think a larger shrimp goby would be your best bet (Pink spotted, Yellow Watchman). Are you talking about ground level corals? If so, I don’t think anything.

Unfortunately, the shrimp goby arent very good sifters.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral gravedigger!

nashvillian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The larger ones most definitely do sift sand. My 3” pink spotted watchman keeps the whole sand bed surface spotless on my 65, not the extent a diamond would, but still extremely effective. Food competitiveness may play a part in that, but to write them off completely would be incorrect.

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a fish that would keep my sandbed sifted and clean, but am concerned that they would also constantly cover my coral with sand. Are there any good fish that would generally stay by the sand and not make a huge mess? I had a dragon goby many years ago in my 40 gallon, and it was constantly a snowstorm of sand. I now have a 150 gallon, but don't want to get a fish that will make more mess than it's worth.

Thoughts? suggestions? Anything in particular to avoid?
I had a small court jester goby that was a sand sifter. They are super small and don't disturb anything.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back