Sand Sifting Goby/Fish in Sump Refugium?

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 11, 2019
Messages
1,113
Reaction score
390
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinkin about putting a sand sifting goby in a deep sand bed refugium (4"-6"). The refugium would be about 20 gallons give or take, so it would be small for a watchmen goby. Has anyone ever done this and was successful? I know refugium sand beds need cleaning often, so I thought maybe this would be a good idea. If a goby is too big for 20 gallons, are there any other fish that would be suited for that size? Also would a goby be good for a DSB or do they rather shallow sand beds? Thank you.
 
I was thinkin about putting a sand sifting goby in a deep sand bed refugium (4"-6"). The refugium would be about 20 gallons give or take, so it would be small for a watchmen goby. Has anyone ever done this and was successful? I know refugium sand beds need cleaning often, so I thought maybe this would be a good idea. If a goby is too big for 20 gallons, are there any other fish that would be suited for that size? Also would a goby be good for a DSB or do they rather shallow sand beds? Thank you.

I would do a Tiger Watchman as they max out at about 5” and a few Nassarius snails. They really like to burrow so DSB are great.
 
I would do a Tiger Watchman as they max out at about 5” and a few Nassarius snails. They really like to burrow so DSB are great.

The only downside is that if you’re using the fuge for pods it will eat them all.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new