Sand sifting goby pairs?

JessenD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R, so I’ve got a banded dragon goby that I have paired with a cleaner shrimp. While they were a pair the spent most of there time hiding in a burrow, about a week in the tank and my yellow tang developed a taste for cleaner shrimp lol now with no mate the goby spends his days devoted to covering every coral on my sand bed. So my question is is there any inveterate less likely to be bothered by the tang?? Or should the shifter.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to google what a banded dragon goby was. Interestingly, I don't think I've ever heard of cleaner shrimp and gobies cohabitating together. Seems like it might have been a "we're both stressed and hiding together" thing rather than a "we are bonded together" thing. I could be wrong though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Fairly certain that sleeper gobies are supposed to sift sand. It's kind of what they do. Feed more, and it will probably stop sifting as much sand, but will still sift sand.

OP
OP
JessenD

JessenD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to google what a banded dragon goby was. Interestingly, I don't think I've ever heard of cleaner shrimp and gobies cohabitating together. Seems like it might have been a "we're both stressed and hiding together" thing rather than a "we are bonded together" thing. I could be wrong though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Fairly certain that sleeper gobies are supposed to sift sand. It's kind of what they do. Feed more, and it will probably stop sifting as much sand, but will still sift sand.
You could be right, maybe the were both just laying low together but regardless he is a sand sifting fool. Lol

OP
OP
JessenD

JessenD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I too had never heard of them,the pictures don’t give it justice its a beautiful fish.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think cleaner shrimp form that sort of symbiotic relationship. They normally put themselves relatively out in the open, so fish can spot them. A cleaner shrimp that hides in a hole all day is a cleaner shrimp that's probably being threatened by something.

OP
OP
JessenD

JessenD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think cleaner shrimp form that sort of symbiotic relationship. They normally put themselves relatively out in the open, so fish can spot them. A cleaner shrimp that hides in a hole all day is a cleaner shrimp that's probably being threatened by something.
Yep a yellow tang in this case.

OP
OP
JessenD

JessenD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep a yellow tang in this case

GoingBroke88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that normal for a yellow tang to take out a cleaner shrimp? I thought yellow tangs were reef safe. In fact, mine used to enjoy getting cleaned by the cleaner shrimp.

OP
OP
JessenD

JessenD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that normal for a yellow tang to take out a cleaner shrimp? I thought yellow tangs were reef safe. In fact, mine used to enjoy getting cleaned by the cleaner shrimp.
It’s kind of a split field with yellow tangs a lot of people say they never have issues and others say the will agitate and or kill invertebrates.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a banded dragon/sleeper goby for maybe 6 months. He had to go! The sand storms were too much!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think a tiger pistol is the easiest to pair with most gobies.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are a pain, but totally a cool pair that I'm glad I've gotten to observe. Can't imagine a tank without them now.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s kind of a split field with yellow tangs a lot of people say they never have issues and others say the will agitate and or kill invertebrates.
I tried one and kicked him out again after a few weeks. All he was doing was trying to bully everyone and making everyone nervous and shy. That was my last attempt on keeping tangs - I'm done for good with those miserable ick spreaders.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the Sand sifting gobies - in the wild they are always found in mated pairs. They will likely do better in captivity if you keep them as pairs there as well.
The sandstorm they cause is normal and the way they look for food. If that's something you can't have you should find a different home for the goby.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 100 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%
Back