Sand sifting star for nano?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 16fishes
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

16fishes

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 1, 2026
Messages
24
Reaction score
15
Location
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just bought a sand sifting starfish from WWC because the guy said it’s a good algae eater for diatoms on sand (better than the emerald crab I was looking at) but when I got home and actually researched, I found out that they’re really not the best addition for smaller tanks (I have a 25g) because they will basically just slowly starve to death. I’m not sure what to do now because I’d hate it if didn’t make it. Did I make the wrong purchase? Is my tank too small? Is there a way to supplement feeding once algae gone?
 
Sand sifters, from my understanding, need a LOT of food. I've had one in my 2.5 year old 70 gallon tank for about 7 or 8 months now but it's definitely not thriving.

For the record, mine was not purchased - it ended up in my bag from the LFS on a holiday weekend so I was unable to return it to the store. Unfortunately in most cases, Sand Sifters don't survive long term in fish tanks.
 
Sand sifters, from my understanding, need a LOT of food. I've had one in my 2.5 year old 70 gallon tank for about 7 or 8 months now but it's definitely not thriving.

For the record, mine was not purchased - it ended up in my bag from the LFS on a holiday weekend so I was unable to return it to the store. Unfortunately in most cases, Sand Sifters don't survive long term in fish tanks.
I let the algae grow out in my tank, so there’s a lot for it right now, but I’m definitely concerned for long-term. Would you recommend returning it to the store? Or giving it away so it has a better chance?
 
I let the algae grow out in my tank, so there’s a lot for it right now, but I’m definitely concerned for long-term. Would you recommend returning it to the store? Or giving it away so it has a better chance?
I personally would not have one in a new reef tank, but that is just me
 
I let the algae grow out in my tank, so there’s a lot for it right now, but I’m definitely concerned for long-term. Would you recommend returning it to the store? Or giving it away so it has a better chance?
From my understanding, Sand Sifters are detrivores not herbivores. They scavenge and eat mostly meaty foods.
 
I let the algae grow out in my tank, so there’s a lot for it right now, but I’m definitely concerned for long-term. Would you recommend returning it to the store? Or giving it away so it has a better chance?
People that have long term success feed them directly most of the time.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new