20170307_183747_001.jpg
That looks like a serpent sea star.

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The banded ones are reef safe.
It can be aggressive if not kept full it never leaves it cave. Ophiocomidae family that serpent sea star from the Ophiuridae not exactly the same thing reason why ones reef safe other not so much.
I had a brown one with 18" tentacles from tip to body and it never bother anything but I fed it nightly raw shell on table shrimp and other frozen food.
But a Sand Sifter will live on average in captivity around 5-10 years.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And he made it through it all.
That's cool!

I haven't seen the 2" sand sifting star in almost a year. No idea if it's dead or alive. This is in my 20g.

I have two banded serpent stars in my reefer525. They are doing an awesome job of cleaning the sand on surface.

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish do you keep in the tank with this star?
The knobby I had a powder brown tang, two black and white clowns, red mandarin, porcupine puffer, lawnmower blenny.

The green brittle there 2 orange misbarred clowns, 3 bangaii cardinal fish, lawnmower blenny.

Trust me I've been in and out of this hobby for years sea stars rarely eat fish unless you're lazy and refuse to target feed them.
Brittle don't like to move around much they stick there tentacles out and wait for very small pods, shrimp, maybe fry or debris from something floating around that was eaten by something else.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The knobby I had a powder brown tang, two black and white clowns, red mandarin, porcupine puffer, lawnmower blenny.

The green brittle there 2 orange misbarred clowns, 3 bangaii cardinal fish, lawnmower blenny.

Trust me I've been in and out of this hobby for years sea stars rarely eat fish unless you're lazy and refuse to target feed them.
Brittle don't like to move around much they stick there tentacles out and wait for very small pods, shrimp, maybe fry or debris from something floating around that was eaten by something else.

Yeah they are slow moving poor hunters.

OP
OP
Catchemall

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for all the comments today. Always good to hear from people that have been there done that.

c.poindexter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally the sand sifters will only survive about a year in captivity due to the lack of food available. They will clean the sand bed up so well that they eventually starve. You will hear so say that they deposit food in the sand to try to feed them, but then you have to worry about nutrients more.

Betty1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a sand star for about three years until a total tank crash during El Derecho.

I have had really good luck with serpent stars (smooth legs) but don't care for brittle stars (hairy legs)...they are too much like spiders. Don't even get me started on arrow crabs.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back