Sand type recommendations for SPS?

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sand would work as its coarse and shouldn't be blowing around much in your tank.
CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sand would work as its coarse and shouldn't be blowing around much in your tank.
CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand

Sweet, thank you. Do you know if Nassarius Snails can burrow in this?

zromano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally am going with a bare bottom my SPS build. It’s a Red Sea Reefer 250. Added a bag of sand to start the tank with and will siphon our after 4-6 months. Let’s me have high flow w/o worrying about sand blowing and nasty looking sand that’s a pain to keep clean.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally am going with a bare bottom my SPS build. It’s a Red Sea Reefer 250. Added a bag of sand to start the tank with and will siphon our after 4-6 months. Let’s me have high flow w/o worrying about sand blowing and nasty looking sand that’s a pain to keep clean.

Yeah, my wife absolutely wants sand so that’s not an option for me! :)

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the Carib Sea Fiji Pink. My only regret is that I should have rinsed it before I added it to the tank. The instructions said not to rinse since it was "alive", but I am still siphoning up dust a year later. It's not so bad now that I got most of it out, but in some spots it is still there.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the Carib Sea Fiji Pink. My only regret is that I should have rinsed it before I added it to the tank. The instructions said not to rinse since it was "alive", but I am still siphoning up dust a year later. It's not so bad now that I got most of it out, but in some spots it is still there.

That’s the same sand I’ve had in my 90 since the beginning, 6 years ago. I love the look, but it blows around too much when the flow is increased.

On my new 262 build, I definitely want to be able to increase the flow without the sand storm.

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the same sand I’ve had in my 90 since the beginning, 6 years ago. I love the look, but it blows around too much when the flow is increased.

On my new 262 build, I definitely want to be able to increase the flow without the sand storm.

I could see that happening with my sand. Mine gets moved around a bit in my 45 cube with my Gyre ramping up.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Eden sands are beautiful and very consistently graded. Very clean, minimal rinsing required. Don't buy the wet bagged "live" sand, just go dry.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon only has the 20# Aragavive versions available. I was disappointed with the Aragavive as it was discolored and not pure white. Premium has the Fiji Pink but that's pretty fine at .08.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know of a list of the sands graded from finest to largest grain with pictures? That would be awesome!

The only side by side comparison pic I’ve seen is from Tropic Eden.

DC2CACF4-1E23-4925-BC73-7169566FE524.jpeg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 81 48.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back