Sand vs bare bottom, again? New idea for BOTH?

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started thinking about this topic again, and I may have a “fix” to have both.

I was wondering if it would be possible and/or safe to put sand down, and then pour in a two part epoxy, like many have been seen using it for “live edge” tables/etc, but have this fill in and cover the sand. Giving the appearance of sand actually being in there, but having it encased in epoxy for a bare bottom finish.

Has anyone done this? Would it be possible?

...it’s just a hunch I had, not for any current project, fyi.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS did a video on top 21 mistakes with sand and discussed this as one of them because it will soon be covered by coralline algae and all your hard work to make something that looks like a sandbed will now just be a purple base like a bare bottom would.

I do not have any experience doing this though so I have no idea if that is actually the case or how long it would take to get covered in coralline.

Was typing this as @ZipAdeeZoa was posting same answer above...

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back