SandJ’s 235 gallon build thread

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, this is not my first saltwater tank...but it is the first one I am setting up that was not an established tank. Not a new tank, just new to me.

The tank is a 235 gallon Dutch Aquarium Systems 3/4” glass tank. It is 60”x30”x30”.

Steel frame stand, 36” tall. Need to build the wood skin.

Still lots of decisions to be made...excited to start the build process though :)

6E84FFD2-3852-41AC-9C9B-0E812D9D2F46.jpeg

962CDB04-BED8-4876-A165-B9471F9A148F.jpeg

4896CAD5-B901-4CCB-ACB9-3012C8CE924C.jpeg

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is going in this new tank? Just a suggestion you may want to change out your receptacles to GFI by your tanks.

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is going in this new tank? Just a suggestion you may want to change out your receptacles to GFI by your tanks.

Water lol That is as far as I am on the planning. Maybe a school of cardinals, pair of clowns, daughter has asked for a hippo tang...

I kinda rushed into this tank setup. It was exactly what I was looking for and a decent price. And just in time for mother’s day.

Ooh, good idea. I guess if I figure out which is the first in the series, I would just have to replace that one outlet, correct? Then all outlets down line would be gfci protected also.

And I want to put the waterproof boxes on the outlets (the ones made for outdoor outlets).

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oooh excited to see another one of your reefs!

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water lol That is as far as I am on the planning. Maybe a school of cardinals, pair of clowns, daughter has asked for a hippo tang...

I kinda rushed into this tank setup. It was exactly what I was looking for and a decent price. And just in time for mother’s day.

Ooh, good idea. I guess if I figure out which is the first in the series, I would just have to replace that one outlet, correct? Then all outlets down line would be gfci protected also.

And I want to put the waterproof boxes on the outlets (the ones made for outdoor outlets).
Correct on GFI only need to do the lead receptacle. The water proof cover not needed, thats only for when you are not using the plug to stop water from getting in. If you have water splashing on your receptacle from your plumbing you have bigger issue.

As for the hippo, I don't want to be the Tang police, but they can get a foot long and a 5' tank would be to small for a long and happy life. A Kole or Tomini tang would do well in that size tank.

Stixlife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a really nice size tank. I like a deeper tank for a better aquascape layout. What’s your plans on lighting?

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a really nice size tank. I like a deeper tank for a better aquascape layout. What’s your plans on lighting?

Thank you! The 30” depth has me concerned with what lights to use. And also how I will reach the bottom of the tank, I am just 5’4” lol

Any suggestions on a light/lights?

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I having some concern with the weight of your new tank. Your tank alone with water (not including sump) will weigh over 2,000 lbs. Is there a basement or crawl space under the tank? See which way the floor joist run and if they run perpendicular, do the joist sit on the wall behind the tank? Your stand has leveling legs which puts all the load on 4 spots on the floor. You might want to remove the legs so the weight is distributed evenly, use shims under stand to level it.

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I having some concern with the weight of your new tank. Your tank alone with water (not including sump) will weigh over 2,000 lbs. Is there a basement or crawl space under the tank? See which way the floor joist run and if they run perpendicular, do the joist sit on the wall behind the tank? Your stand has leveling legs which puts all the load on 4 spots on the floor. You might want to remove the legs so the weight is distributed evenly, use shims under stand to level it.

Stand is on a concrete foundation. I was thinking about putting blocks under the stand frame for additional support.

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand is on a concrete foundation. I was thinking about putting blocks under the stand frame for additional support.
Do you mean concrete slab? If so there is no problem, I wouldn't add anything under just around to hide sump. Just realized the side of your tank is as long as the front of my first tank, LOL.

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean concrete slab? If so there is no problem, I wouldn't add anything under just around to hide sump. Just realized the side of your tank is as long as the front of my first tank, LOL.

Yes, concrete slab.
My biggest tank right now is a JBJ 28, so this is a huge upgrade. And a whole new ballgame for me. I have been watching the original owners videos (mr saltwater tank) to get ideas for setting it up.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back