santa monica drop algae scrubber feedback

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the opinion of the santa monica filtration drop algae scrubber or the hog (hang on glass) model. (Link below) I'm looking at the 1-4x drop as that is the largest with 2 power supplies for low light or high light. I'm thinking I need to add an algae scrubber to help with nutrients. I want easy to manage and no risk to overflow. I can also add a smaller one to the AIO observation tank to help that tank as well. It's not as bad. Has some cyano though. Haven't tested po4--only a few live rock in there with some overgrown leathers that I can't just toss so they survive in there. NO3 is at .05 or .10. No doser. It houses a pair of clowns and acts as an observation tank only for new fish for the 125.

I've got my po4 down to .02 The test (hannah) sometimes goes higher, then lower. On the 18th it was .49. Before that it was .04. Nitrates are down to 20 (from 160 last fall).

I have tuffs of algae growing on my rocks and on the returns and they even build up in the overflow and weirs. Am trying vibrant (accidently overdosed a few weeks ago...) and am always having to clean the glass. The vibrant did clean a lot of stuff first round. Am seeing some white maybe on some algae but not enough to make me believe it is being affected. It's more dotted, not whole tuffs turning.

Today: PO4 .02, Alk 9.2, Mg 1410, Ca 360 (need to adjust doser here). Have lots of flow.
125 gal w/35 gal sump with refugium.

Am assuming when I harvest the algae I can swish it in tank or refugium to get pods out? Also says you can feed the algae to your fish. LIke a nori algae feeder?

I don't want to add corals until I get rid of algae on rocks. I do feed heavy as I have 13 fish with 4 more coming (3 damsels, 1 mandarin plus 2 btas for 2 tanks).

20210321_122623.jpg

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
have you used them before?
Yes, and I absolutely hated it enough where I wasn't interested in his Rain algae scrubber which actually gets good reviews by people I know.

I'll take that back I had two HOGs the 3xx and 2x but same concept as the drop imo.

Last edited:

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol all you need is a section of pvc with a long slot or holes in it. Zip ties for the sewing mesh. Yes its sewing material.
I can prob make a free standing unit with a small pump for a waterfall scrubber. Lol
No return line needed.
D

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol all you need is a section of pvc with a long slot or holes in it. Zip ties for the sewing mesh. Yes its sewing material.
I can prob make a free standing unit with a small pump for a waterfall scrubber. Lol
No return line needed.
D
not sure what that is. Pic?

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A waterfall algae turf scrubber...this runs when my tank light goes off. It is just T'd off my main return. I can make a stand alone unit with two triangles on each end to support it. Than u just need a small pump to circulate the water. Algae turf scrubber done and bigger. Lol
D

Attachments

• 20210323_002930.jpg
    20210323_002930.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 20210323_002934.jpg
    20210323_002934.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 90
OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A waterfall algae turf scrubber...this runs when my tank light goes off. It is just T'd off my main return. I can make a stand alone unit with two triangles on each end to support it. Than u just need a small pump to circulate the water. Algae turf scrubber done and bigger. Lol
D
cool. I don't have my manifold installed yet--gotta get hubby to do that!

So from reading, if I use an algae scrubber and nutrients drop, I can go part time on the skimmer?

anyone else with any imput? So far this one seems the best fit for what I can put in my tank unless my hubby will make me one like the SM hog (and he can def. do better than the one diy I saw of a hog!)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back