SaraB's 183G Rimless AGE Downgrade ;-)

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I thought I had better start my downgrade build thread before I get in trouble with Rev for starters and then in trouble with Marvin for posting all my fish pics on his Thread.

My husband calls this my "Death-row Tank" which is interpreted to mean if I ask for another large display tank he will most likely kill me!

I purchased this used A.G.E. tank and stand from stunreefer back in December. I'm not sure how, but I convinced the hubby to make a day trip to Ann Arbor, MI with the truck and trailer to get the tank and get it back to IL before an ice storm hit.

Tank Dimensions: 48" x 36" x 25"

Flow: Return is fed of my Sequence Barracuda Gold which also feeds a bunch of other stuff in the fishroom. Tank also has 2 MP40's on it.

Lighting: I'm slow to convert ... so I'm moving from Metal Halides and VHO's over to a T-5 Fixture. More on that later!

Tank is plumbed into an exising system and the total water volume is about 400 Gallons.

Here's a pic of the 268G display being replaced:
sbfts01.jpg

And the octopus plumbing that was behind it:
SystemPlumb5.jpg

After the 268G came out, we had a 7.5' x 5' hole in the wall to fix. My husband and I never framed in a wall, but we did so in 2 evenings and without even arguing ... amazing!

WallRebuild2.jpg

WallRebuild2.jpg

WallRebuild3.jpg

WallRebuild4.jpg

And I'm happy to finally have a cleaned-up sump area too without the octopus of plumbing to bang my head on!

FishroomWallRebuild.jpg

Here's the finished wall and the tank being leveled by my hubby ... that's where his help ends with the tank other than helping move it around!

StandLevel1.jpg

StandLevel2.jpg

Finally the tank and stand in place together:

StandLevel3.jpg

Here's where my friend Ed takes over with the plumbing! We were able to plumb the system in one evening after work.

plumb1.jpg

Here's my simplified plumbing going through the opening in the wall with one return and one drain ... what a concept simplicity is ;)

plumb2.jpg

That's enough for now ... need to take some new pictures to continue!

Last edited:

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol....Sara, I don't think I ever saw the pic of that plumbing. I was laughing pretty hard at that! I don't know how you kept anything straight. And I'm really darn impressed with your "patch work" on the wall. It looks flawless and that's not an easy thing to accomplish with drywall. Looking forward to watching the progress of the Death Row tank - especially with how you're going to light it ;)

Good work thus far! And you really should consider having "Death Row" somewhere in the title of your build thread. I think it's great...lol

OP
OP
SaraB

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Craig. We replaced the framing and hung the drywall ... but we paid a really good painter to tape, mud and repaint the wall. I can't take credit for any of that work!!!

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build thread. Can't wait to follow and see more. I'm about to start my own build thread soon :)

Are you planning to use the same water from the current tank for the new one? I know you have some rare wrasses, like me, so I was wondering what your plans were. I know you have to be concerned about that Attenuatus trio, just as I'll be concerned about my new Johnsoni pair :)

Last edited:

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow- you guys are setting a harsh example for fellow married reefers to live up to. I'm used to the guy getting in trouble with the gal for the tank, not the other way around :tongue:

And very nice job with the build, everything is looking really sweet! Can't wait to see what the upgrade is.

OP
OP
SaraB

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the dimensions on the new tank??? It's gonna be a sweet one!!!! Can't wait to see this!!!

DOH! I missed the most important part, huh??? I updated the post, but it's 48 x 36 x 25.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Woo HOO! Great looking tank and build so far! I can't wait to see this get filled! What lighting are you going with?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Never mind saw the T-5 comment.

Why not go with some nice dimmable LED's?

OP
OP
SaraB

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I planned this downgrade/tank swap in a 3 step process and here's the first step.

Step 1 started with plumbing in a 100G rubbermaid tub in the fishroom into the system to hold my liverock and fish from the 268. The coral in the display will be moved into the frag tank. We'll also be taking off the last remaining surge and using its feed-line to now direct flow into the protein skimmer and the rest into the fuge since both of those are currently fed by a drain line from the display. Doing all of this will allow me to cut the flow to my 268 and take it down while the remaining system will run behind the scenes in the fishroom.

Here's the 100G Rubbermaid that will sit on the stand behind it and will be plumbed into my system:

100GRubbermaid.jpg

We fed the tub with extending beyond the existing valve on the left and will be adding a wye to the drain from the frag tank and draining the tub into it.

100GRubbermaidDrain_feed.jpg

Got one shot of Gary and Ed working on adding the wye to the exising drain line. Thanks to both of you for helping with my never ending projects!

100GDrainplumb.jpg

Of course nothing goes as planned ... this tub has held water on and off for like 3 years and wouldn't you know when it got filled with sand and saltwater that stupid bottom drain started to drip from the bottom of the bulkhead!!! That took 2 hours of messing around with new gaskets and actually flipping the bulkhead around on the tub and shaving off the tub a bit. We fill it back up with no leaks and then Gary leaves and 10 minutes later the brand new top 2" bulkhead decides to start dripping!!! By then it was 11:10PM so I drained the tub down and dropped in a powerhead and heater and called it a night. Ed helped me fix the top bulkhead the next day and the tub was filled.

This tub was set up for about 4 weeks while the existing display came down and we fixed the wall which was step #2. Step #3 was plumbing the tank, filling it with saltwater and turning on the new tank to the exisiting system and then moving the livestock.

JOSE CASAS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tanks reminds me of mine lol. Love the slick rimless look. Cant wait for the tank to have water.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job Sarah, looks like you're moving ahead quickly on this one. I guess I probably missed it since I have checked the other thread for quite some time, but why the decision to down grade?

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow. the joy and pain of moving tanks. I'm glad you've got really good helpers though. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing the tank set up. hopefully, it won't be too long. good luck and hope it's goes smooth from here. :)

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup Sara! Definitely only a downgrade as far as size, the rimless is NICE! I assume you have a nice T5 fixture in mind already to finish off that nice clean look huh? Can't wait to see the tank up and running.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 62 43.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.4%
Back