Thanks everyone for the nice comments!
Thanks Cupcake ;) The reason for the downgrade was for starters, I have far too many hobbies to manage and something had to give. I was also pretty frustrated with this display as I went through some rough times with it in the past year with some salt issues coming from a change in variety used, algae issues and it was really hard for me to work on since I had to be on a ladder all of the time to do anything with the tank ... even feed it.
I have not updated that other thread since finishing up the framing of the wall. And yes, after the wall was repaired things moved ver, very fast!
As I mentioned earlier, the fish were in that 100G Rubbermaid for only 4 weeks. The wall was taped and mudded first on Sunday and then he came back on Monday and finished up the mudding and then painted. My friend Ed had been asking me "is the wall done yet?" for quite a while, so when I sent him a text at noon on Monday 21st of February, he said he'd be right over to plumb ... so we actually got the tank and stand in place, got it leveled and then plumbed it that same evening. We had been planning for this for a month, so we had all the pvc parts we needed available to finish the job. For the next 3 days I was making RO/DI water so that we could do a swap with shutting down the rubbermaid tub and using about 70 gallons of the water it held and then added the rest as new salt water. I have a saltwater mixing station, so I was able to make salt in 60 gallon batches, let it sit for a day and then add it to my current system and then turn on the return to the new tank and add water there for holding. I had powerheads and a heater in the AGE tank so that the water would not sit stagnant for the couple days this took me to have enough water made to run the full 400G system.
I had enough water by that Thursday, February 24th, so Ed came by to make sure there were no leaks when we turned the system fully on and then Gary and I worked to move all the rock and livestock from the tub over into the tank, all of which took about 4 hours, but we had the whole thing done with the tub emptied and removed from the house and the extra drain that was added to my frag tank plugged.
So that is where I am at now ... the fish are pretty happy in their new tank and I'm waiting on the shipment of my light holder and my new T-5 fixture. For now, the system is looking pretty ghetto with my temporary lighting and netting over the tank.
I'll update some more again soon ...
Nice job Sara, looks like you're moving ahead quickly on this one. I guess I probably missed it since I have checked the other thread for quite some time, but why the decision to down grade?
Thanks Cupcake ;) The reason for the downgrade was for starters, I have far too many hobbies to manage and something had to give. I was also pretty frustrated with this display as I went through some rough times with it in the past year with some salt issues coming from a change in variety used, algae issues and it was really hard for me to work on since I had to be on a ladder all of the time to do anything with the tank ... even feed it.
I have not updated that other thread since finishing up the framing of the wall. And yes, after the wall was repaired things moved ver, very fast!
As I mentioned earlier, the fish were in that 100G Rubbermaid for only 4 weeks. The wall was taped and mudded first on Sunday and then he came back on Monday and finished up the mudding and then painted. My friend Ed had been asking me "is the wall done yet?" for quite a while, so when I sent him a text at noon on Monday 21st of February, he said he'd be right over to plumb ... so we actually got the tank and stand in place, got it leveled and then plumbed it that same evening. We had been planning for this for a month, so we had all the pvc parts we needed available to finish the job. For the next 3 days I was making RO/DI water so that we could do a swap with shutting down the rubbermaid tub and using about 70 gallons of the water it held and then added the rest as new salt water. I have a saltwater mixing station, so I was able to make salt in 60 gallon batches, let it sit for a day and then add it to my current system and then turn on the return to the new tank and add water there for holding. I had powerheads and a heater in the AGE tank so that the water would not sit stagnant for the couple days this took me to have enough water made to run the full 400G system.
I had enough water by that Thursday, February 24th, so Ed came by to make sure there were no leaks when we turned the system fully on and then Gary and I worked to move all the rock and livestock from the tub over into the tank, all of which took about 4 hours, but we had the whole thing done with the tub emptied and removed from the house and the extra drain that was added to my frag tank plugged.
So that is where I am at now ... the fish are pretty happy in their new tank and I'm waiting on the shipment of my light holder and my new T-5 fixture. For now, the system is looking pretty ghetto with my temporary lighting and netting over the tank.
I'll update some more again soon ...
