SaraB's 183G Rimless AGE Downgrade ;-)

So the first pics are the way the tank looked running for the first few weeks. I didn't want to post those without some follow-up pics of it looking slightly less ghetto with wood clothes pins holding on my mesh top ;)

The aquascaping in the last 2 pics are what I can up with as of last Sunday and the "lid with mesh" was completed yesterday. Thanks to Ian for the design idea!

Ghetto1.jpg


Ghetto2.jpg




LessGhetto1.jpg


LessGhetto2.jpg
 
Looks great Sara. Do you mind sharing what you did for your mesh top? I would like to do something similar but I don't want it to be a pain when I need to feed. If easier, you can pm me...but I'm sure others would like to know as well.

And when is that sexy fixture coming in?
 
Thanks Craig. I'lll post some links tomorrow on the thread that Ian shared with me. I need to go drinking with the neighborhood gals now!

The fixture ships out of Toronto on Monday!!! :)
 
Looks GREAT Sara. Love the top, It turned out perfect. A little better than the clothesline hangers. LOL I haven't seen that before.
Can't wait to see it with the new light fixture.
 
Looks GREAT Sara. Love the top, It turned out perfect. A little better than the clothesline hangers. LOL I haven't seen that before.
Can't wait to see it with the new light fixture.

Thanks Brad! I do specialize in creativity with the clothes pins and mesh!

I'm excited about the fixture too and need to get the bulbs ordered on Monday.
 
Last edited:
Fish Update: I had to net out the new Lineatus that went in the rimless last Saturday night. When the fish came in it was female, but it went through QT and was held a bit for me and I believe in that timeframe it started to turn into a male. When I added it to the display, it went right up to my existing big male and flashed its fins at him and it was "game on" after that. It was not allowed to leave the rockwork without getting beat up. I usually use an acclimation box but didn't since I was adding 4 fish at once. No one even bothers the small Laboutei, so hence I think I added a male! He was netted out and placed into my 45G cube where he can now swim and actually eat.
 
Fish Update: I had to net out the new Lineatus that went in the rimless last Saturday night. When the fish came in it was female, but it went through QT and was held a bit for me and I believe in that timeframe it started to turn into a male. When I added it to the display, it went right up to my existing big male and flashed its fins at him and it was "game on" after that. It was not allowed to leave the rockwork without getting beat up. I usually use an acclimation box but didn't since I was adding 4 fish at once. No one even bothers the small Laboutei, so hence I think I added a male! He was netted out and placed into my 45G cube where he can now swim and actually eat.
sorry to hear about the incident Sara. are you gonna try to get another female Lineatus?
 
Hey Sara can I ask you how you fill now that you downgraded? I am fixing to go from my 250 to a 150 cube. Are you glad you did it?
 
Hey Sara can I ask you how you fill now that you downgraded? I am fixing to go from my 250 to a 150 cube. Are you glad you did it?

I'm feeling good about it and don't regret it one bit! It's so much easier to manage so far!
 
Marvin - My nahacky's wrasse was not too excited about the lineatus dropping on into his cube at first, but he got over it since he's half the size ;) The nice thing is now the nahacky's is flaring his fins a bit which is nice to see!
 
Thanks Marvin. I'm not sure if I should try another or just stick with my potters trio I have coming...
Potters should fill in the void colorwise if you decide not to try out another Lineatus. :)

Marvin - My nahacky's wrasse was not too excited about the lineatus dropping on into his cube at first, but he got over it since he's half the size ;) The nice thing is now the nahacky's is flaring his fins a bit which is nice to see!
Nahacky's are awesome. if I find one available, I'll be very very tempted to replace the Hooded. ;)
 
Not too much progress going on other than moving in my acan collection into the display.

The light fixture was delayed shipping out of Italy, so it should be arriving in Canada this week and then reshipping down to me. My light holder is also taking longer than expected, so I'd have nothing to hang the T-5 fixture on anyhow if I did get it ...unless I could try and ghetto hang it from the heating duct or steel beam above the tank ;) I did get in my T-5 bulbs last week as well. I was told this would be a comparable in color to my Radium 20K/VHO actinic look I've run in the past:

8 ATI Blue Plus
2 ATI Purple Plus
2 GE 6500K Daylights

I'm also getting some Sfiligoi bulbs in with the fixture to try out too.

I'll try and get some photos of the fishroom up this week.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new