Saved My Anemone’s life

Leeann Sutherby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! Would just like to share the story of my anemones life. I saw him at the LFS near me and he was such a glowing white long tentacle anemone. I had read about them a lot because I’ve never owned one before but have been wanting one for a while, so I kind of had the general knowledge and I was sure a white anemone meant he was bleached. However the store insisted it was just a white long tentacle and they received them all the time and had great success with them. So I believed them and bought him. Well long story short after 5 months he has totally gained all color back and looks happier and healthier than ever!!!! I am so proud of myself for saving his life because like I said it’s my first anemone ever owning and I’ve never owned corals or anything either. The first few pictures were taken on June 13th and the other ones are from today November 29th.

17BF55AC-CB10-4379-9A44-7E4427299F9C.jpeg 5E0C4107-F94B-45F7-BD57-F3C2A40CF760.jpeg CB4406F4-A194-4AFB-9A4D-15CA6071D4CF.jpeg 06110C46-1975-44D1-B7F3-AF1AE7F2FBAA.jpeg 860D904E-22A4-435C-9196-5B46219267A7.png 961A44DA-403E-4FCD-A445-482F550E4D67.png

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome! I’ve got one myself that I picked up at the end of November like that. He was pretty much clear, but after a few months in good light and small feedings a few times a week of mixed frozen and small pellets it turns out he’s a green bta. He’s happy and healthy now and I don’t need to help him at all. I wasn’t too sure on picking him up because I’d never had one before, but he was attached firmly to a rock at the store, mouth was closed and he was stretching so hard to get some light (he wasn’t under anything remotely adequate.) I felt bad and figured at least I could give him a fighting chance.

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome! I’ve got one myself that I picked up at the end of November like that. He was pretty much clear, but after a few months in good light and small feedings a few times a week of mixed frozen and small pellets it turns out he’s a green bta. He’s happy and healthy now and I don’t need to help him at all. I wasn’t too sure on picking him up because I’d never had one before, but he was attached firmly to a rock at the store, mouth was closed and he was stretching so hard to get some light (he wasn’t under anything remotely adequate.) I felt bad and figured at least I could give him a fighting chance.
What else is in your tank? What kind of light do you use?

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else is in your tank? What kind of light do you use?
It’s a 50 gal mixed reef and it’s been up for over year now. I’ve got it under a mars aqua 300w light and run 80% blues and 20% whites. They’re controlled by a reef pi now and they ramp up and down in the morning and at night. Blues come on at 0600 and out at 1800, whites come on at 0800 and out at 1600. Livestock is 2 x clowns, 1 x lawnmower blenny, 1 x fire fish, 1 x ywm goby, 1 x chalk bass, and 1 x one spot fox face plus cuc (a few astrea, turbo, nassarius snails, one conch, a few hermits, and an urchin.) The nem moved the spot he’s in now right after I put him in the tank, about half way down and right in the middle. He hasn’t moved since. Only change has been he slowly started exposing himself to the light more and more over time, my guess is that was because he didn’treally have any zooxanthellae at first.

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 50 gal mixed reef and it’s been up for over year now. I’ve got it under a mars aqua 300w light and run 80% blues and 20% whites. They’re controlled by a reef pi now and they ramp up and down in the morning and at night. Blues come on at 0600 and out at 1800, whites come on at 0800 and out at 1600. Livestock is 2 x clowns, 1 x lawnmower blenny, 1 x fire fish, 1 x ywm goby, 1 x chalk bass, and 1 x one spot fox face plus cuc (a few astrea, turbo, nassarius snails, one conch, a few hermits, and an urchin.) The nem moved the spot he’s in now right after I put him in the tank, about half way down and right in the middle. He hasn’t moved since. Only change has been he slowly started exposing himself to the light more and more over time, my guess is that was because he didn’treally have any zooxanthellae at first.
Nice light schedule.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back