Saved Nem from Crappy Fish Store | ID? Saveable?

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I was with my girlfriend at a pet store grabbing some stuff for our dogs, and went into the fish isle and saw that they had just gotten anemones. They were all looking crappy and had literally nothing except a rock covered in DINOS. No lights, no wavemaker, literally just water and rock. Anyways I talked him down to $12 and brought it back.

Their tank salinity was at 1.042 - yikes. I’m new to reef tanks and I know my tank is just barley starting but I thought I would rescue it and if worse comes to worse I’ll bring it to my reputable LFS.

can I get an ID? + is this too far gone? Stalk is red, and the tips are barley green.

currently have my wavemaker off not too sure when to turn it on, I just directly fed it a tiny piece of shrimp to eat and it didn’t eat it either.

Update: as I’m typing this it moved in the tank to the very bottom in between two rocks and the tentacles are coming out.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a LTA (long tentacle anemone)
They are sand dwelling nems, Dig a hole next to one of the rocks and allow it to touch the bottom of the glass. It does look slightly bleached but they are very easy to nurse back to good health

OP
OP
Zaxh

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a LTA (long tentacle anemone)
They are sand dwelling nems, Dig a hole next to one of the rocks and allow it to touch the bottom of the glass. It does look slightly bleached but they are very easy to nurse back to good health
Thanks. Any idea how long it will take to nurse back to health? Aka turn on my wavemaker ? I just read a bunch about it. This def is it!

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was good of you to rescue the poor nem from that place! that person really needs to take care of their tanks!

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Any idea how long it will take to nurse back to health? Aka turn on my wavemaker ? I just read a bunch about it. This def is it!
With proper conditions and weekly feedings it could be back to good health in about 3 months. Your wave maker should be on as they don’t move a lot, I would still have a nem guard on

OP
OP
Zaxh

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With proper conditions and weekly feedings it could be back to good health in about 3 months. Your wave maker should be on as they don’t move a lot, I would still have a nem guard on
Do you think it could also be a Condy? I'm running into an issue as my sand is coral instead of finer/mud sand. Wont mount to the glass either.

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is new this could be problematic- as I understand it nems need more mature tanks. It’s something to keep an eye on.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be fine. I nursed back to health worse. Do not get me started on Petco's care of anemones... The manager said to me most die, they do not do well. Ok you A/hole if you put a photosynthetic animal in a tank and leave the lights off, how well do you think it will do? I have a LTA that I rescued from there. It was bleached white, but now it is a beautiful green and the size of a dinner plate.

OP
OP
Zaxh

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is new this could be problematic- as I understand it nems need more mature tanks. It’s something to keep an eye on.
Yes - Tank is roughly two months old. Testing Everyday, Manual Doses, ATO System, Adding Bacteria. Doing everything I can to keep tank stable. I think I am gonna go into my LFS tomorrow and see if they'll take it. So far it is doing amazing, all the tentacles are thriving - Finally got it to stick the the bottom glass.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - Tank is roughly two months old. Testing Everyday, Manual Doses, ATO System, Adding Bacteria. Doing everything I can to keep tank stable. I think I am gonna go into my LFS tomorrow and see if they'll take it. So far it is doing amazing, all the tentacles are thriving - Finally got it to stick the the bottom glass.
If you have a good light, it will be fine. They are fairly hardy. Your clowns will help it along with stimulation. If you feel confident in your husbandry, you can keep it.

OP
OP
Zaxh

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be fine. I nursed back to health worse. Do not get me started on Petco's care of anemones... The manager said to me most die, they do not do well. Ok you A/hole if you put a photosynthetic animal in a tank and leave the lights off, how well do you think it will do? I have a LTA that I rescued from there. It was bleached white, but now it is a beautiful green and the size of a dinner plate.
Yeah its kind of funny - It wasn't Petco, but it was a place similar to it. Before I really got into reefing I had a salt water tank with two clowns for two years, then I decided I was bored and wanted to switch and I always went to him who seemed knowledable. Long story short, I switched to a reef fish store and learned so much I pretty much go there everyday. Long story short, when i went to the store today for stuff for my pups, I saw that the
Screen Shot 2023-09-28 at 12.16.55 AM.png
y had API test kits, no wave makers in their tank or any coral lights. Dinos and Cyno everywhere. Worst of all, I went to check the salinity like I mentioned earlier and it was so high. Crazy how much I have learned in the past five months

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah its kind of funny - It wasn't Petco, but it was a place similar to it. Before I really got into reefing I had a salt water tank with two clowns for two years, then I decided I was bored and wanted to switch and I always went to him who seemed knowledable. Long story short, I switched to a reef fish store and learned so much I pretty much go there everyday. Long story short, when i went to the store today for stuff for my pups, I saw that the
Screen Shot 2023-09-28 at 12.16.55 AM.png
y had API test kits, no wave makers in their tank or any coral lights. Dinos and Cyno everywhere. Worst of all, I went to check the salinity like I mentioned earlier and it was so high. Crazy how much I have learned in the past five months
This is what you had, now Dinner plate size. This guy did feed him his share of pellets...
IMG_0224.jpeg

OP
OP
Zaxh

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what you had, now Dinner plate size. This guy did feed him his share of pellets...
IMG_0224.jpeg
I have a Picasso and an Ocellaris. Gonna try my hardest to get a host going if I do keep - but those two arent known to host LTA, gonna print out a picture of clown and nem together and tape it to the tank - jk!

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it could also be a Condy? I'm running into an issue as my sand is coral instead of finer/mud sand. Wont mount to the glass either.
It’s an LTA. They do need sand as they are sand dwelling anemones

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way to go! Currently rescuing different LPs and slow is the pace. Don’t forget to consider Anemone guards.
IMG_9494.gif

OP
OP
Zaxh

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way to go! Currently rescuing different LPs and slow is the pace. Don’t forget to consider Anemone guards.
IMG_9494.gif
Sad news… I bought an anemone guard off of Etsy for my jeabo 10, and the Nem decided to jump and it unfortunately passed. It Weasled right through the guard. Very devastating

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with nem guards they can sometimes still die. I had got a great 4" foot RBTA from Petco color was still great so it had not long been in their care. Had a guard on my MP10. Next morning I find the nem stuck to the nem guard. Tore up his foot and he of course died. So upset.

OP
OP
Zaxh

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with nem guards they can sometimes still die. I had got a great 4" foot RBTA from Petco color was still great so it had not long been in their care. Had a guard on my MP10. Next morning I find the nem stuck to the nem guard. Tore up his foot and he of course died. So upset.
Yeah.. it took me 15 minutes to get it out of my wavemaker.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 23

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to hear. Nematodes can be a problem. Did you have to change over much water after that?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back