Saving sick fish from corporate fish stores

MichelereefsBF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is the right forum topic for this, but I feel that I should share this success story. After taking pictures of the healthy Two Band Red Sea Clownfish, I felt compelled to tell you his/her story. My girlfriend and I became heartbroken everytime we walked into this chain pet store. It seems every fish has ich, or velvet at this place. Understanding the opinions on what I did can be controversial for many reasons, I finally decided to make a move. The employee continues to tell me that they are closing most of the Marine department, getting rid of coral and some tanks...and I understand why.
There were two red band red Sea clowns that had been there for a few days. They were completely covered in white slime and ich, also gasping for air at the top. The employee told me they just ate a ton so they seemed fine. I wish I had taken a before photo, but when I have before, all the employees just stare at me. Yes I care what people think about me LOL. I waited another day and went back only to find one left. The manager said he sold the other one right before I got there. My guess is it died, or even worse, someone new to the hobby ended up with the fish.
I decided to buy the fish slightly discounted and rushed home to put it in a 10gallon QT tank. Now I have never used any chems on a fish...and I also made the mistake of not QT all my new fish. That mistake left me with multiple deaths. I made an educated guess after a ton of research that it was either velv, ich, or Brooks...I only know this because years ago I purchased a clownfish from this store that died two days later from what I believe was Brooks. This store uses hyposalinity so I believe that's how the fish stay alive so long in their stores..

After getting the fish home I drip acclimated it for a while as my salinity is much higher. (I understand using low salinity for QT, but this was a spastic, emotional purchase). I had time to just start the QT with water from my display.
...I then added the cupramine at 1/2 the dose as shown in the instructions. After 24 hours it seemed to not be getting any better so I rushed to my LFS and borrowed their Hanna copper test and a few reagents. The copper was at .4 for two days and the symptoms were not getting better. I went a little more heavy on the copper and the new test showed .70...I left it at this for five days and around day four this little guy looked great! No slimy white coating or ich. He was still breathing heavily! But a few days later he looked perfect! I began doing water changes (even though the nitrates never exceeded 3ppm...I guess with only one fish in QT the levels stayed great. I began doing water changes to lower the copper. He has now been at zero copper for about four weeks and is doing perfect. Just felt I'd share this story! I felt compelled to make a post after taking these pictures of him! He is still a tad skinny but getting fatter by the day with his mysis!

I'm sure many people have had the feeling of accomplishment when bringing fish back from the grips of death. Very proud my research paid off! BTW, anyone need a clownfish? Lol! Jk.
If you want a before picture, just Google velvet,ich on clownfish and the poor guy looked like the worst picture you will find.

IMG_20200106_170326.jpg IMG_20200106_170326.jpg IMG_20200106_170330.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing

keep us updated once he hits his permanent home

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the fish. One thing to consider is this is not just a corporate thing, almost any fish store no matter the name will have sick fish.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a lot of my fish like that. Sometimes I get them for free and I love it. It is normally easy to nurse those fish back to health as long as they are not in the process of getting last rites from an angelfish :D

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back