Saw this and thought I would share

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dsdaley77
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I use the DIY tutorial that is posted here in the stickies. It has worked very well for me. The 2 things I saw that concerned me in the article you posted are some of the aggregates (I have had phosphate issues that I attributed to oyster shell although, admittedly no direct proof) and the curing time. Even when I just make some frag discs I do 30 days in sunlight and 30 days in fresh water. Most of the time I still need to do additional curing in freshwater. This article recommends a week in water.

I am by no means an expert though.
 
"real" live rock is very porous with tons of caverns and voids throughout the rock where bacteria thrive and complete the nitrogen cycle. I do not see how you could ever simulate that with concrete.
 
With the addition of the Rock Salt, it makes perfect sense IMO. I do agree with the first comment about needing more time to cure but, I have not personally heard about the oyster shell issue. I would recommend only using reef quality substrate as the secondary ingredient.


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new