Sb reef lights vs hydras

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
Which one is better between these 2 brands? For a mixed reef mainly sps and lps. 47"x21"x20.
Thanks !!

Joker79

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a pretty good question.
I think you're gonna get both sides of the answer.
Some people are die hard hydra fans just like some are with t5 and radions.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to remove some lenses to increase spread. I'm only at 13" above tank and feel that going 16" above would be better, but, being that it's beside my couch that height would give a direct view into the led and be distracting from its location. Anywhere else and the height would definitely be a solution. If I had the extra $ I would have gone with 2 16" to allow better spread, but, for what I've got, the one 32" is perfect. I measured at 100% both spectrums and moonlight at 12" below the light 120000lux, which translated to roughly 2k par. (I know there's no formula, but there is a roundabout way to get an educated estimate) I'm running 20% white and 30% blue to acclimate from my kessil 160s and hitting about 650 par at water surface which will slowly rise over the next couple of weeks.
IMG_7762.JPG
IMG_7756.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to remove some lenses to increase spread. I'm only at 13" above tank and feel that going 16" above would be better, but, being that it's beside my couch that height would give a direct view into the led and be distracting from its location. Anywhere else and the height would definitely be a solution. If I had the extra $ I would have gone with 2 16" to allow better spread, but, for what I've got, the one 32" is perfect. I measured at 100% both spectrums and moonlight at 12" below the light 120000lux, which translated to roughly 2k par. (I know there's no formula, but there is a roundabout way to get an educated estimate) I'm running 20% white and 20% blue to acclimate from my kessil 160s and hitting about 650 par at water surface which will slowly rise over the next couple of weeks.
IMG_7762.JPG
IMG_7756.JPG
I'm going to remove some lenses to increase spread. I'm only at 13" above tank and feel that going 16" above would be better, but, being that it's beside my couch that height would give a direct view into the led and be distracting from its location. Anywhere else and the height would definitely be a solution. If I had the extra $ I would have gone with 2 16" to allow better spread, but, for what I've got, the one 32" is perfect. I measured at 100% both spectrums and moonlight at 12" below the light 120000lux, which translated to roughly 2k par. (I know there's no formula, but there is a roundabout way to get an educated estimate) I'm running 20% white and 20% blue to acclimate from my kessil 160s and hitting about 650 par at water surface which will slowly rise over the next couple of weeks.
IMG_7762.JPG
IMG_7756.JPG
IMG_7762.JPG
IMG_7756.JPG
IMG_7762.JPG
IMG_7756.JPG

Ben Seaver

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 2 32" SB units for about a year now and really like them. They are very powerful so be patient with increasing par. I got 2 different models, one is the elite auto ramping ( which is bad butt) and the other is a basic dimmable version. I would highly recommend spending the extra $100 for the auto ramping version. Much more efficient o believe and versatile. Either way I highly reccomend.

chino402

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have money go with hydra. Have sb over my frag tank for couple months now. I'm not impressed. I have better spread, growth and colors under artic LEDs.

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 16" SB elite on my mixed reef 60 cube. Love the light. Been growing everything i throw at it for about a year now. Pic was right after moving everything over from my biocube.

Really is worth it to get the wifi programmable version. So easy to use.

20170723_193134.jpg

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I run a 16" SB elite on my mixed reef 60 cube. Love the light. Been growing everything i throw at it for about a year now. Pic was right after moving everything over from my biocube.

Really is worth it to get the wifi programmable version. So easy to use.

20170723_193134.jpg
Whoa that looks really good! I'm starting to lean towards sbreef. I wouldn't mind being patient and saving for AI Hydras but it seems like it's just a preference thing. Anyone experienced with both as far as controllability or APEX controllability?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back